Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=478&start_row=1

King James version of the Bible

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: dreadlion40 Sent: 11/7/2004 1:32:19 AM

Greetings to all: There is one thing that IanI is confused with, One of the foundations of Rastafari is anti-colonialism. So why did the early Rastas use the King James version of the Bible,which was written by a group of Englishmen if I'm not mistaken,versus another version of the Bible?

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 11/7/2004 5:03:55 AM

Greetings I

In Jamaica of the 30s, 40s, 50s and so on was only this version available. Elder Mack reports in his book, that he read first about the Mackabees in a bible given to him by an english man, because in Jamaica was only the KJV available.
But as His Majesty teaches, no matter in what language etc, the WORD MESSAGE remains one and the same!
Iman personally read a german translation, and also the Luther Version from time to time. I still search for an english translation of the Amharic or Hebrew Bible.

Selah

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 11/7/2004 11:56:28 AM

this one thing iman confused with too. which bible the I should read.........or is there a bible I should not read......so many different translations......which one did the emperor use.....which ones do the InI use frequently.........how does the kebra nagast fit in , is it a supplement to the bible that should be read etc....which bible do rasta use frequently besides piby and kebra nagast?

Praise the Lord....JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 11/7/2004 5:18:16 PM

Isis and Blessings,

Yeah man the King James Version is probably the most edited version of the Bible than any other. It was edited by a 33rd degree masonite, and has been altered beyond belief. The New Testament contains about 5% of Christs and His disciples teachings. I recommend the African heritage study bible.

Ras Zion I

Messenger: the rock Sent: 11/7/2004 8:01:58 PM

Greeting

I want to speak(write) on my opinion of the Kings James Bible.I know that there are things that are changed in the way that it was writen.So i look for the truth that was used to sway there lie and move with that.I know that if you change anything part of JAh word that you are going to be cursed,(just as any lier is)doomed to the out come of there own negative engery manifested.

onelove

("we don't need no more trouble")

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/8/2004 1:59:44 AM

I have not seen the African heritage study bible, but from the other english translations I have read, there is more changing of the words then there is in the King James version.

Another thing I like about the King James version is that the structure of it keeps the musical flow of the scriptures. The newer versions has lost this part, because modern english language is not very musical.

The Psalms for example are written to be sung, and even if they are read rather then sung, the flow and structure of the verses come through better in the King James version.

But as Jahphet spoke of what Selassie I said, No matter the translation, the word remains one and the same. The message and teaching of the bible still comes through.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 11/8/2004 2:42:18 PM

Yes I the message is still the same but the fact is that many things have been changed aqnd or removed from the scriptures as we know it. A great deal of the Old Testament was changed and the New Testamewnt was shortened in the 12th century in the Council of Nicea, by the churches and government officials. I read the King James version as well but it is not the direct Word of God. Also during this council is when the Apocyrapha writings where taken out of the original texts and considered false, but His Majesty was familiar with these texts and the EOC holds them as Canonical.

Ras Zion I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 11/10/2004 3:55:23 PM

When you see the truth you will recognise it. It is a natural guidance that man read words and hear words and know it to be words of truth. So the kingdom grows in strength.
I love that tune steel pulse bring. King James version was chosen to perpetuate a certain teaching that they call Christianity. The pope and all of them bring this teaching and it only tells half the story. They never place the teachings of Yeshua and Moses and others into the right framework. Africa is the only foundation.
So it is important to seek other sources. I have a edition of the new testament called "the unvarnished new testament". It is written by a man called Andy Gauss and he says that he just translated the documents as he saw them, without trying to make his translation conform to any particular doctrine. So far I know that all of the bibles you will find in the bookstore are translated by people who want to support a certain church's teachings. And all of them come from the same tradition from the pope and king james, they only change a little.
Man, when I read Andy Gauss translation you would hardly recognise it as the same book you were reading before. I recommend it to everyone.

Messenger: RasEli Sent: 11/16/2004 12:28:02 PM

InI study's and reasonings I read say Rasta most soak up all wisdom of the Holy Ible in every form, So I read the Kebra Nagast and soo all forms of Holy Bible including the King James version, whether it was edited or not, to reach a higher overstanding you must take the wisdom from everything which is in I reach, remember that my brothers.

It is good to read the versions, you do not want to look like you dont know what your talkin about in reasonings like this.

Ras Eli

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/16/2004 10:25:59 PM

That is true Ras Eli,

I and I can receive the wisdom that is in the Bible and in many other places.

As Haile Selassie I say,

To be neutral is to be impartial, impartial to judge actions and policies objectively, as we see them either contributing to or detracting from the resolution of the world's problems, the preservation of peace and the improvement of the general level of man's living conditions. Thus, we may find ourselves now opposing, now supporting. now voting with, now voting against, first the East, next the West. It is the worth of the policies themselves, and not their source or sponsor, which determines the position of one who is truly neutral.

This, We maintain, is the essence of non-alignment. Those who would righteously denounce one side on every major problem or issue while reserving nothing but praise for the other cannot claim to be non-aligned, nor can those whose policies are shaped for them elsewhere and who wait patiently to be instructed whether they are to be for or against be called uncommitted.

Words of Haile Selassie I

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I