Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4731&start_row=1

Locs and Rasta Sisthrens

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastafariYess Sent: 6/22/2012 8:49:26 PM

InI read books about Rasta man and locs the significance in our way of life many criticize InI for not having a full head of locs despite the fact that I is vegan and follow Jah word rasta brethrens & sisthrens even non rata say InI cannot be full or "pure" rasta if I don't get dreads I love my long hair the way it is and doubt of getting locs I know that Rasta Livity is not about locs but the truth of life and it should not get in the way of my beliefs and strong faith but I do feel pressure to have them..should InI get them or ignore comments

Messenger: bredren aaron Sent: 6/23/2012 6:52:13 AM

Leonard P. Howell the first Rasta didn't have dreads,Marcus Garvey didn't have dreads and King Selassie I the 1st didn't have dreads. Iman beleive dreads are grown from taking the Nazarine vow which no razor shall come pon thy head and is also a sign of showing one is Rasta. I have seen long hair ,short hair & no hair Rasta's so to I Rasta I a livity of walking in rightousness not looks. Don't feel pressured in doing what the I don't want and those that are non rasta, how do they know they're not Rasta.

Bless.

Messenger: RastafariYess Sent: 6/23/2012 2:25:47 PM

Blessings brethren It is True I leaders did not have locs and send message to all people either way "Rasta is not about looks " I is right thanks appreciate it

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 6/23/2012 4:42:07 PM

Ahoy! Jah people. Locks are not only fo those who follow de nazerite vow. Acording to de ancient order of de Nyahbinghi it is said dat scissors n comp should not be used. When u stop using dis things de hair tend to lock naturaly. De locks are a way of black pride to Africans since locks is an African culture. Dis locks on de head of a rasta are also an outer manifestation of de covenent of love made between man n heart. Locks are also to signify de diference n distance between rasta n Babylon. Just let your hair grow naturaly. It doesn't mater if it locks or not. Der's even a binghi chant dat seh ''firebon scissors n comb''. Rasta is a natural man. Anyway I man don't mean u right or wrong fo I man know dat der's diversity among rasta people. So dats just food for thoughts if u not a binghi man. But if de I consider himself a binghi man then u may have to consider dat. Blessed love.

Messenger: RastafariYess Sent: 6/23/2012 4:52:05 PM

That's is why I Question in gettin I hair loc because it symbolizes the difference I and Babylon yet I hair will not loc naturally I is mix with Cuban which is African heritage also, Mexican and Italian it does not allow my hair to be easily loc unless I get it loc I do not use scissors as is bad bad I however use comb because my hair gets bad since I is a mix sisthren and work in a restaurant and it requires I to be "presentable " . Blessings in the name of royal majesty Haile Selassie I RastafarI

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 6/23/2012 11:02:21 PM

RastafariYes,

Anybody can naturally grow Dreadlocks given enough time, including white people.

Messenger: RastafariYess Sent: 6/24/2012 12:03:30 AM

Correct, I hair is not like whites though but I question was wether having InI hair in locs would bring I closer to Jah because few brethrens & sisthrens said I could not be fully RastafarI unless I had locs

Messenger: Ras Kanjas Sent: 6/24/2012 9:46:14 AM

Sistren,

If you ain't under the Nazarite vow, please do not grow any locks,
because it would be disrespectful to do so, seen?

You see, Emmanuel-I was a Nazarite like Jesus...that's why He grew dreadlocks, seen?
But Marcus-I and Selassie-I were not, no wonder they grew not any locks, seen?

Raspect..

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 6/24/2012 10:39:31 AM

Sista Rastafariyes. As u can see de views of rasta people are diverse so I sugest u haffe decide whats good fo u. However de comp is a sign of slavery to I n I black people so de I may need to stop using it if your employment won't be affected. If your employers do allow u to cover your head then u have nothing to wory about. Simply cover your head n deal away with scissors n comp. In dat case your hair will eventualy lock after some time(days, weeks or months). Once your hair lock, just embrace de locks. Let dem grow naturaly. Like Bob Marley say ''rastaman live up, grow your dreadlocks, don't be afraid of de wolfpack''. Just more food fo thoughts. People choose what to believe. Blessed love.

Messenger: RastafariYess Sent: 6/24/2012 12:17:21 PM

Greetings brethrens, InI have not taken the Nazirite vow yet but remain to do as much search for the truth and answers in books of black leaders RastafarI information websites and talk to Wise Rasta I do follow the vow guidelines do not drink poison eat grapes or no consume process food for is bad for I health and body. The advice given from all is much appreciate it and helpful InI think til now there's more over standing on the subject that perhaps many young sisthrens have out in Babylon nowadays regarding locs.Appeciate it much!
Blessings and love to all , Jah Live!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I