Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=453&start_row=11

Being Dread inside without being outside

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ganjaduchess Sent: 10/21/2004 2:40:59 PM

i am a highly blessed sistren, jah has looked down upon i an bless i bountifully,jah blessings jus keep flowing,thank you jah,for your merciful blessings

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/21/2004 2:57:46 PM

gideon, you said,

----------------
This is a personal choice each man must make, and I respect haile the man who stand up for the natural order and never cut his hair. But I respect the man who cut his hair more, because he is more real.
----------------

What makes the man who cuts his hair more real?

You tell people that they should not look down at a man who cuts his hair, but you look down on ones that let their locks grow. You say you respect them haile, but you respect the one who cuts more. So if this is the case, then what you are basically saying is that in reference to you, a man who cuts his hair, you must be looking down on the one who lets his locks grow because you deserve more respect.

From what I read in the posts before you, unless I missed something, nobody was looking down at people who cut their hair, so I don't know why you needed to tell people not to look down on a cut hair man.

As a locks man, I am offended by your comment that a cut hair man deserves more respect. And like I asked above, what makes him more real? If anything I would think that the people that are more real are the Ones who accept the way Jah created I and I. And Jah created I and I to have hair that grows into locks.

A person can Live for Jah with or without locks. But by cutting their hair and beard, they are deforming their body to look like something that they are not, so I can't understand how that can be more real.

I overstand what you are saying that in your case you want to keep your hair short to do the things you want to do. That is fine for you if you choose this. But what I don't overstand is when you say that you are more real because of it, or deserve more respect. I know that you were speaking specifically about how you look at others who cut their hair, but by the same reasoning, you are basically saying the same of yourself.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/21/2004 5:25:39 PM

We had a misunderstanding with the "look down" thing. I don't look down on anyone, in the sense of not respecting them, but it is just that some people are more deserving of respect in certain areas, like the way I respect Michael Jordan's basketball skills, it doesn't mean that I look down on other people.... but that's not the main thing we're discussing, so let me get to the main point.
I said that I respect a locks man for standing up for the natural tradition, but I respect a man who cuts his hair for the right reasons more than I respect a locks man. Here is my reasoning:
Everybody knows that no man is an island. We need to participate with others. And that means that a ras has to flex with those who do not know the original tradition. When a man grows locks he alienates those who do not know. That makes it harder in most circumstances for a locks man to do certain things, like make money, establish business contacts, etc. Note that people like musicians and actors, I mentioned, are exceptions to this general rule, because they can actually sell more records and make more deals etc. because of their locks that if they didn't have any.
The locks man in my opinion is putting the cart before the horse. I admire the love of nature that causes ones to do this, but in my opinion in most cases there is a lack of practicality.
What the African nation needs is money. And those locks that so many rases have are getting in the way. True, it is not the fault of the locks man that his locks are alienating people, it is the fault of the people who are alienated. But we live in the real world, and we should take reality into account when we decide how to live our lives. Growing your locks is good, but not at this stage in the game. Wait until you have a music contract, or an acting deal, or your own business, or some level of financial security before you start growing your locks.
I am not saying in absolute terms that it is not good to grow your locks now. I am just saying that in most cases it is not good. For example a farmer can do it with impunity, but for the average city dweller it is not a good idea. And believe me, we can't all be farmers, or babylon will come and take away your farmland. We need warriors in the city, with short hair and suits etc.
Babylon followers believe that short hair and suits are signs of breeding or whatever nonsense they believe in. But INI are warriors, and INI know suit is just cloth, and haircut is just haircut. Each ras needs to look at the real situation and develop a plan of action that is based in reality.
Today, Zion is not real. It is still a dream. Those who choose the dream over the real world are making a mistake. I admire their warrior spirit, but they are confused. But those who cut their hair, I admire more because they are warriors, and they are fighting in the real world.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/21/2004 6:48:09 PM

Gideon,

You don't Iverstand the Locks Man. You have put too much thought into secular things and have not balanced your Spiritual progress, I and I are Mystical People. RasTafarI People don't worry about those things that you speak of, Jah provides all things for I and I. Jah provides I and I with work, shelter and anything else I and I need. This is not a dream, it is a reality that I and many other RasTafarI have experienced and are experiencing today.

The powers of Jah are great and I and I can accomplish what I and I need to accomplish with our Locks on our Head, they are not an obstacle. The only obstacle to Locks Man are lack of Faith and refusing to trod in the way of Jah. When these two obstacles are removed, all things the Person needs are provided.

You have your role and I and I have our role. Just because you can't Iverstand our role, doesn't mean that our movements aren't reality. I and I don't look to babylon to determine our reality, but I and I look to Jah. And Jah can make I and I prosporous wherever we are, with I and I Locks on our Head.

When I was in University, so many people tried to pretend like they were some kind of prophet and told I when I was going to cut I Locks. They would tell I that I would cut it before I graduate, after I graduate, or when I was looking for work. One person was so sure, he couldn't even accept the small possibility that I would keep I Locks, no matter how many times I told him I would. He was 100% sure that I would cut I locks when I graduated.

It has been 5 years since I graduated and I have never once considered to cut I locks. But I always trusted in the Most High, and Jah gave I what I needed.

Before I had I current job, I had a contract position for a year. When I contract ran out, I tried to get unemployment benefits, but I couldn't because they told I that I was 14 hours short of their requirement to receive it.

I had saved some money while working, so I was able to live on this for 4 months while I looked for another job. Time passed and passed, but no job came. I never once thought to cut I locks because I made this choice and commitment to Jah. I brought this judgment on Iself, and I knew exactly what I was getting into before I started growing I locks, and the tribulation that would come, and what the commitment that I made meant. Everyone makes their personal commitment to Jah when they grow their locks. My commitment was for life and is for life.

When I money ran out after the 4 months, I got a job, without even going to an interview. I spoke with the person hiring on the phone on a Friday, and he gave I a little phone interview and then asked I if I wanted to start on Monday. Jah tested I until the end, and then he gave I a job. After a week at the job, I needed to get some money that I mother had in savings for I to pay a months rent, because I had to pay the rent before I first paycheck but I was completely broke. This is how far Jah tested I, to the point have having no money, and because I never left Jah, Jah gave I what I needed.

Jah will always provide for I, and I will always walk with Jah, according to the way Jah has directed I to walk. I and I locks grow for a purpose, it is not for vanity. But they only have a purpose for those that know and Iverstand I and I Mystical trod.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/21/2004 8:19:35 PM

Seen.

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/22/2004 11:54:42 AM

In all humbleness and love, let me respond. One.
I agree that Jah is the only creator and a man with perfect faith can have locks and still do what he needs to do in life without any problems. In fact we are free to follow the natural tradition fully and there should be no negative results in our life. I know this with certainty. A man whose faith is perfect will not suffer in any way no matter what he does.
Now, getting to reality - we all suffer. And the fact that we now suffer proves that our faith is not perfect and it is the faithless things we do in life that cause us to suffer.
If a man grows locks, knowing that he is still a sufferer and therefore that he is not yet fully faithful in his life, he should expect problems to come. It is not the locks that cause the problems, but it is lack of faith that causes the problems, and they would manifest through his locks.
If a man cut his hair then his weakness cannot manifest that way. Maybe he would get a cold instead, or whatever.
The main point I am making is that when a man wants to make a revolution in his life he has to bear in mind where he is at present. We are wayward, that is where we are at present. By this I mean that we are not living the full faith life.
A man who is seeking the full livity of faithfulness is not qualified, in my opinion, to where locks. Not in this age when locks are a problem for most people to get success.
If possible, get a job and then grow your locks while you are in the job, so that way they can't fire you so easily.
Ark, I am not against what you are saying, but there is a time for everything, and you need to bear in mind the practical aspect. I am not forgetting spiritual things in favor of material things. As Selassie says in that speech you are referring to, spiritual and material have to come together.
It seems to me that those who grow locks even though they don't have financial security in creation are forgetting the material side.

A man walking barefoot to a shoestore miles away. He has to walk on the grass, because his feet can't handle the road. But when he gets his shoes he can walk on the road, and the going is faster because the road is smooth. But the arrogant man starts walking on the road before he gets his shoes. He says that the road is faster, and he forgets that his present condition does not allow him that luxury.
That's why I say, get your money and then you can grow your locks, and then you can set up a business and hire people who have locks and can't get other jobs easily because of their choice.
Please note that I am just describing reality as I see it. There is not any hostility or negativity or anything. If you have a different opinion to mine, you should be able to support your opinion with arguments and show that my reasoning is limited or incorrect. So if you are able to do so, please go ahead. I am eager to hear reasoning to show that I am not seeing the whole picture, or that I have been blinded to the full truth, but so far I have to stay where I am, because as far as I can see I am not wrong.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/22/2004 12:23:27 PM

Gideon, what you are suggesting is good advice to most people because we are in such a faithless generation. But it doesn't apply to the Ones that are set aside by Jah to Live the Life of a Locks Man. For those that are set aside, nothing on the outside will delay the growing of the Locks or stop the growth, and Jah does truly provide for these people.

The problem is that many who decide to grow their locks are putting the buggy in front of the horse as you say. They choose a Life that is not theirs(at least at the present time), so they endure the problems associated with having locks in today's society, but they lack what is needed within themselves to overcome the problems, and they also lack the ability to Live as a Lock Man. So their locks become vanity.

But the disinction should be made between these two types of people. Your suggestion about Locks does not apply to all, but it does apply to many.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/22/2004 4:52:28 PM

Thank you. It seems that you are talking about something that I don't know about. In this case the best way I can respond is by asking you to inform me, if possible, about this new thing that I don't now know about. So please do so, if it is possible.
The thing is that I don't see the need for locks, and I'm not saying that there is no need, just that I don't see any need.
In terms of living the roots life, I do so whenever I see the need. For example I just got fired from a job delivering food, because some of the customers complained to the boss that I wasn't smiling at them. The boss brought the issue to my attention earlier and I told him that I am a friendly person, but it is just that my culture is not the same as those people, so they expect a smile because they assume that I have the same culture and when I don't smile they take it as a sign of hostility. So I explained about all that to him, which of course we all know about. Basically those people who complained about me failed to agree to culture...
So when my boss complained to me the first time, I explained the situation to him and told him that unfortunately I am not able to provide the service that he requires, since I am not willing to manufacture false smiles and laughs upon demand. I told him that I am able to provide the service of delivering the food, and that I will always be courteous and kind according to my own culture, but that I could not do what he was asking me to do. To cut a long story short I got fired.
Now, in this situation the way I see it is that I stood up for the natural tradition by refusing to produce false laughs and smiles. It is because I know that my father creates me for a natural tradition.
So you see, the things that I do, I can explain why I do them, and any reasonable person should understand where I am coming from. If you can give me a good explanation about locks I will be so happy to hear it, but as far as I can see it's just hair. My perspective is like the average person in the world, that it doesn't make a difference how you keep your hair.
So it is possible that I lack the necessary information to know the truth about this thing, and if that is the case please inform me and explain the reasoning to me so that I can know. And I promise you that if you do that I will spread the message and if possible I will grow locks myself......

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/22/2004 9:49:28 PM

I and I locks are used to enhance some of I and I senses. Locks are receptors to help I and I communicate with Jah, the elements and all of Creation. I and I can communicate spiritually without Locks, but with Locks I and I are more receptive to these senses. The cat's whiskers are there for a reason and if the whiskers are cut, certain senses would be weakened. I and I locks are also their for a reason, and when we cut them we disturb their use and purpose. The True Locks man knows of this. We not only know, but I and I experience it.

That is why the Nazarites, the holy Ones, were told to let their locks grow as Jah created them, so they can perform their works.

Many who grow their locks don't exercise these senses, so their locks are vanity to them. But locks have a purpose for RasTafarI people in these times.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/23/2004 12:23:59 PM

If that is true, then I respect the locks man more. Time will tell. There is a question in my mind, though. Because when you grow locks and experience changes in the power of your perceptions, how can you know it the locks causing the changes and not something else? The only way you can know that is if you actually feel the power coming through the locks. For example a cat would know that the whiskers are bringing the power of senses, because he would feel the vibes literally coming through the whiskers.
Is it the same way with locks? Or are you just assuming that there is a link, but you don't actually experience the link?
Please see that I am just asking, I don't know. If you tell me that you actually feel the vibes within your locks, coming into you, then I will be forced to rest any arguments against what you are saying. Not forced in any bad way, but my nature will cause me to do so.
The reason why I am pursuing this, is that I have a natural vow, without coercion, to do the best I can and seek Immanuel. Anything I hear I examine it without partiality and I know that I will accept certain things, reject certain things, and leave other things on a back burner simmering until I get forward to them more time (get back to them later).
This is my foundation, and I am always looking for ways to build on top of this foundation. So please don't stop from explaining to me what the I know, so that I can test out what the I say and gain what I can from it......

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I