Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4387&start_row=1

what is the root of the name jesus, why was it given to the messiah?

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: skiddo Sent: 8/17/2011 8:11:42 AM

am confused. Can somebody elaborate on the origin of the name jesus, and how and why was it given to the messiah? Thank you.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 8/29/2011 11:24:09 PM

Skiddo,

Here is some information I found:

----------------------------
The Name of Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ in the Ancient Aramaic language is:
Ea-shoa' M'shee-khah
[name of Jesus in Aramaic]

In the Ancient Aramaic His name is written as shown above.

Eashoa' means, "the Life-Giver." Msheekha means, "the Anointed One." Eashoa' Msheekha: The Anointed Life-Giver.

Many visitors to this website e-mail me about the use of the name Jesus Christ. They say why do you use the English designations when the true name of Jesus is "Eashoa" and Christ is "The Anointed One." Some of the people e-mailing me prefer the spelling "Yeshua." And there are some other variations, but none of these are accurate transliterations. I prefer my own transliteration: Eashoa'.

I take this occasion to explain the usages, now that even God is in danger of being removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. First of all, the name of Jesus is not different from His name in the original language. In the Ancient Aramaic, the name is spelled "yeh-sheen-waw-ein." In English the "yeh" becomes "J," the "sheen" becomes "s," the "waw" becomes a "u," and the "ein," becomes an "s." Now, this might not sound like the same name, but since three of the four letters in the name don't have English language equivalents, the English pronunciation had to be modified. Eashoa' and Jesus are the very same name, albeit the transliterations are of two very different languages, with four thousand years of divergent evolution.

The name of Christ comes from the Greek word for "anointed." The Greek word "Khristos" comes from the word for "oil." The English language is based on the Latin, which in turn is based on the Greek. The word "Msheekhah" is the original word for "The Anointed." Another good choice for "Christ" is the Messiah -- again from "Msheekhah." The same word in all the languages, designating Jesus as the Messiah prophesied by the Old Testament.
----------------------------

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/30/2011 12:09:08 AM

It is also the same as the name Joshua. The form of the name that is Yesus is a Greek style of the name representing Eashua, Yashua.

In many European languages, the letter J is a Y sound. So when Jesus (pronounced Yesus) came to the English language, instead of replacing the J with a Y to keep the same sound, they replaced the sound by their interpretation of the letter J. So it became Jesus.

The same thing goes with Judah, Joshua and any other biblical name that starts with a J.

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I