Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=434&start_row=1

Bad words

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/2/2004 4:06:25 PM

Recently in a post about participation in the system I told rock he was making an argument and he said that he doesn't argue, but he reasons.
We should not let words get in our way like this, it is a waste of time and energy.
So Rock, I'm sorry I had to define argue. I know it sounded pompous but I had to show that it is not a bad word. I understand that the word can be used in a context to describe negative emotions, but I was not using it that way so you had no reason to interrupt the discussion we were having to tell me that you don't argue. I was just talking about the fact that you were presenting opinions.
I have had so much problems with rases over this thing with words. Some people don't like you to say that you believe or don't believe something. One time I was reasoning with a ras and I said, "Yes Boy.." and he didn't want me to say boy.
We need to rise above this nonsense. I don't believe in bad words, I just know about self expression. I am not against people talking in the way that pleases them, but we need to bear in mind that different people have different traditions and there is more than one way to say anything.
A rose by any other name smells just as sweet, and calling something other than a rose by the name "rose" doesn't make it a rose. So let's stop believing in bad words. It is just folly.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/2/2004 6:32:36 PM

I ask why you have to be that way.Then gave my interpration of the words that I was useing,then I ask you to do you. That is how I write, thats how I feel. If you don't understand something that I write then I will explain what I ment and in what way that I wanted it to be taken, there is no need for any referee or any stopping of any discussion. I Know everyone speaks different.When I post something I try to make what I am saying as general as I know, from the frist time that you address the thing call folly you were talking about something that I posted. So I am taking you for what you wrote because I don't know you, as you say people are all different. I have know probelm with you,nore have I ever put it out there like that. Thank for the responce.

One Love

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/6/2004 11:35:08 AM

Let us examine this conversation with me and Rock.

First I said to Rock:
"Rock, I hope that after you argue so strong against what I am saying that if you come to see with me that you will argue just as strong on my side...."

Then Rock said:
"I am not into the argueing thing.I was just posting my opinion.Is there any other way to reason, you post something then i post something."

Now, he is saying that:
"to put forth reasons for or against something is to argue."

So if you know that the word argue signifies putting forth reasons then why did you say that you are not into the argueing thing? What is the problem with what I said?
This man is contradicting himself and now the proof is clear.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/6/2004 5:15:55 PM

you got me.

what is your piont.

one love

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/6/2004 5:29:29 PM

I just read what i posted,and now i see what your getting at.how can i say that i do not argue,and then say that i just post my opinion.it cuz i have not put forth any material proof.my opinion is words on a web site.things that i have looked up for my self,but but cuz this not a court of law,and i am not a lawyer,i will not put up an arguement(with physical proof)i will just post my opinion.and if found wrong then i will learn something new.but for that bull ish that you are trying to discredit me and what i am saying,let me tell you, that you are not the first person that find it hard to hear the truth and you will not be the last.

onelove

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/7/2004 10:41:56 PM

Just move on from this confrontation and forward to the reasoning. I and I don't need to provoke each other.

Gideon, don't take what I am about to say as an offence because it is not meant to be. I just want the I to see the other side of it. The I said

"but we need to bear in mind that different people have different traditions and there is more than one way to say anything."

This goes both ways. It is not just about others accepting the way you say things, but it is also about you not offending others with your words. There is a balance that should be kept so that you don't go against others but at the same time, you also don't go against yourself.

If the words you use are not a big deal to you, then it shouldn't be difficult for you to say something differently so that you don't offend others. So if your bredren doesn't like to be called a boy, then what is the profit in calling him one. It may not be significant to you, but it is for him.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/8/2004 10:16:12 AM

More fire. Whoever is offended is at fault.
I am saying that boy is not a bad word. Therefore there is no reason for him to believe that it is so. I am just trying to correct a mistake that people often make. It is good to correct people when they have a mistake in their thinking. That is why I posted these comments about bad words.

Concerning the confrontation between me and Rock. It is nothing personal. By confrontation in a peaceful way we can achieve positive results. I think Rock contradicted himself so I showed where I think he contradicted himself. So far, no one has responded directly to my allegation that he contradicted himself.
My motivation is not to bring anyone down, since contradicting yourslef doesn't say anything about a person's character. It is just a question of words. All I want is to encourage people to use words in a conscious way so that we can communicate.
The future of Africa depends on communication, and words are a very important part of that communication. There is a discipline when it comes to using words that is lacking.
It is my opinion that Rock's words, and not necessarily the point he was making, are a contradiction. I want to get to the point he is making so that I can hear what he's getting at, but so far I couldn't get past the contradiction in the words he used.
Rock, explain yourself clearly. Respect the words you use.
I am not saying that the man himself is a contradiction, because I believe with certainty that no man is a contradiction. However, his words are a contradiction.
There is no confrontation here, because I know that Rock is a man, made in Jah image. He is love and truth and I honor him fully as a man. But his words have been a contradiction, so he should clear up his words for the sake of communication.
People have different traditions, yes. But that doesn't mean that anything someone says is okay. Some traditions are bullshit.
When I called my friend boy I used the word in the meaning of friend, or buddy. So he should not have a problem with that.
But Rock made contradicting statements, and that is evidence of a confused tradition in his words. Note, the man is perfect, but his choice of words was weak.
What bothers me is that he refuses to admit that his words were weak, and no one else has supported the clear proofs that I showed. He clearly contradicted himself in his words, so let's admit it and go on.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/8/2004 11:26:50 AM

If you want to corect me,that is fine you won.what ever you think that you are doing by piont out that in one instance of me use word to describe other word, you won.In the dictionnary many words are use to tell what other mean.So you are right i did say one thing and mean another.But if you wanted to correct me,then correct the dictionary.

onelove

Messenger: gideon Sent: 10/8/2004 11:31:47 AM

Thank you. That's all I wanted. You're right, the dictionaries are all off as far as I can tell. And I don't think I'm making frivolous objections..... Peace though, nevertheless.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 10/8/2004 11:42:31 AM

You don't think so.I just started to write,and the only way to write is to look at what they have made up and write.I use the Dictinary and you still are saying something about what i wrote.what is your piont.in one way your saying that we need to use word in that right way, then you say that the dictionary is wrong(in your own words).

onelove

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I