Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4309&start_row=11

Circumstances

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/30/2011 11:29:55 PM

I Iverstand why someone might make the choice the I is talking about, but I couldn't eat flesh in that situation, especially if I was not near death and also especially if I had money in I pocket. Although I might make an exception if it was fish.

If it was a blessing that the man was to get, then he would get that blessing just by making the offer. I and I could ask Selassie I for that, and with Faith, it is not even necessary to ask.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 5/3/2011 10:55:02 PM

No no iyah, di I dem are missing di point mi a try mek i think

Grapple di i dem a grapple wid an imagined situation and are coming up wid all kinda tings dat are avoiding di main point. Perhaps dats my own fault still.

why mi seh this?
Ark I a seh tings like, "in that situation, especially if I was not near death and also especially if I had money in I pocket.

Nazarite a seh, "Perhaps if I hunger was not greater than theirs I would insist on sharing the food with them rather than accepting it all "

but seen,yur hunger a dat point is of no matter to di situation.
Look, mi coulda change di story a little and seh, imagine once mi meet a foreigner in my land and mi do something good for him asking for nothing in return. Then one day mi a trod thru his land and him seh i must come to his house so he can return my kindness. And at his home, di only food him can offer mi is a little meat.
Now, does it matter if mi hungry or not, does it matter if mi have money ?

So,to summarize mi point, and this is not to say mi right and yuh wrong, this is jus I.
My point was when i think of di laws dat mi trod by, i cant see mi breaking any of these laws for any selfish reason, same for mi Ital livity.
Mi, i no longer fret nor worry for miself, mi know i am well taken care of, Jah fulfill all I needs and wants...for dat simple reason, mi cyaan see miself breaking from mi ital livity for anything i need or want, seen

But breaking I laws for di sake of another, dat is a different ting to mi.
Di reason why mi pick dat kinda situation is because, to I, the bond and relationship between a House and the Guest of the House, is nothing short of sacred.
And if i was ever to come inna situation where honoring and strictly keeping I own livity would mean i would somehow be disrespecting or cheapening this sacred bond in any way.....well, its dat kinda ting i can think of where i might see myself think and seh, alright,mi trod by di Ital livity,but right now mi have to honor i fellow man in love and respect and its not what goes in but what goes out dat defiles one so i will eat this time.
Truth be told, mi a wonder if i African Idren would more readily overs this....mi cyaan seh for sure cah mi neva grow in anythin else but African household, but speaking for Africans mi know these tings are ingrained in our societies so wi learn dem from yung to di point where its natural to ini

Di I dem remember when di two strangers took rest in di house of Lot ?
And di battyman sodomites come and seh give us di two men.
Wha did Lot seh to dem ? Him seh its better dem tek his own two daughthers than tek his guests who were "under the shadow of my roof"
Imagine dat iyah

anyway,dats all mi a try seh, hope dat was clearer

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 5/3/2011 11:07:13 PM

"That fish would be I choice between life and death,... because I know that the dead can't give thanks and praises."

hmm, interesting
so how does one seh the dead cant give thanks and praise and then kill one of Jah creatures, di fish dont give their thanks and praise too ?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/4/2011 12:37:25 AM

I didn't misIverstand what the I was saying, I Iverstood that the situation the I was speaking about had nothing to do with hunger, or having money in your pocket.

Before the I made your last Reasoning, I was going to ask the I about the situation the I mentioned:
---------------------------
Look, mi coulda change di story a little and seh, imagine once mi meet a foreigner in my land and mi do something good for him asking for nothing in return. Then one day mi a trod thru his land and him seh i must come to his house so he can return my kindness. And at his home, di only food him can offer mi is a little meat.
Now, does it matter if mi hungry or not, does it matter if mi have money ?

I wasn't going to ask about that exact situation, but the same kind of idea.

The I also said this,
Truth be told, mi a wonder if i African Idren would more readily overs this....mi cyaan seh for sure cah mi neva grow in anythin else but African household, but speaking for Africans mi know these tings are ingrained in our societies so wi learn dem from yung to di point where its natural to ini

This kind of culture the I is speaking about is not just in African society. In Serbian society the same kind of culture is present, and likely in many other societies. It is just that I wouldn't eat flesh for that, and if I went to Serbia and refused, I could see people taking my refusal personally.

One thing about eating flesh in those kinds of situations is that it opens up many possible instances where a person would feel obliged to eat flesh, and eating flesh is something that is so far from I that I couldn't eat it for that. I would not be happy about offending someone or hurting them by my refusal, but eating flesh is such a defilement to I that I couldn't bring I Irits into that. Some say that what you put in your mouth is not defilement, but what comes out is. For all who feel that way, I am not here to change their mind, but for I, whether it is in our out, it is defilement. Like I said, there is a Reason why I and I are not to eat flesh, and it is an Iritual Reason, and the importance of it in our Trod is higher than many realize.

In December I made a Reasoning about how I ate fish for about 6 months last year.

Food Experience

I didn't crave fish or any other kind of flesh even once for 14 years after I stopped eating flesh, so when I started to crave it, it was a strange thing for I. Even though so many RasTafarI people I know eat fish, I couldn't bring Iself to do it for more than a year after I senses were telling I that I was in need of nutrients that fish had to offer, some may say that I didn't need fish for that, but I know I senses enough to know when they are telling the truth. Like I have said before I never liked eating flesh growing up and it was a relief when I stopped eating it because eating flesh was something I always had to force Iself to do because I senses rejected it. It wasn't that I had any logical reasons why I didn't want to eat flesh, I just was so turned off by the taste and smell that I didn't want to eat it.

It has been 9 months since I stopped eating fish, and I haven't craved it even once since then. It has become almost the same as any other kind of flesh, I senses reject it like it did before.

The I thinks it is selfish to eat flesh to prevent death from starvation, but I don't see it like that. Humans are well capable and equipped to eat flesh and process it; the reason I don't eat flesh is not because I think that people shouldn't eat it, I just think that certain people are not meant to eat it, like the Nazarites. Should all cats just let themselves die and go extinct because they shouldn't eat flesh? Is it selfish of them to eat the flesh of a mouse or bird to survive? The balance of Creation includes the consumption of vegetation and/or flesh for many species of Creation. Should we stop eating even vegetation because it is selfish to sustain ourselves at the expense of vegetation? Your use of the word selfish is too broad and doesn't truly represent the meaning of the word.

I have Reasoned before that I sight I Life as One Life since I Creation. To I it is not only a disrespect to our ancestors, but is a disrespect to our Creator, Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I to let this gift of Life fade for unfruitful reasons. When I say unfruitful reasons I mean dying without usefulness, and in I mind, dying because I refuse to eat flesh is dying without usefulness. Sometimes a person must sacrifice their Life for the Good of others and this is a death for fruitful reasons because Good will come of it and seeds will be planted to grow.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 5/4/2011 4:05:27 AM

"Like I said, there is a Reason why I and I are not to eat flesh, and it is an Iritual Reason, and the importance of it in our Trod is higher than many realize."

So if yuh eat meat are yuh defiling di flesh or di i irits ?

To mi, disrespecting a sacred bond like that between i and i brothers and sisters is more a difilement of i irits than eating flesh could ever possibly be.
Is there anything more important in ini trod than Love ye one another?

"Sometimes a person must sacrifice their Life for the Good of others and this is a death for fruitful reasons because Good will come of it and seeds will be planted to grow."

Iyah,yuh seh Sometimes a person must sacrifice their Life for the Good of others, and yet, Di i dont see any occasion where it might be worhtwhile to sacrifice jus a little bit of yur trod jus for a moment for the Good of others ?
How is it di i dem are not sighting this ?

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/4/2011 9:44:24 AM

Greetings...

Good reasoning, It speaks to I as I've been in situations like these all my life.

I can remember (it was almost a decade ago) I was staying in a small family run guest house in the jungle of Thailand. The family had a small restaurant with limited options, but Thailand is like a vegetarian paradise so food had never been a concern, regardless of the fact that many Thais take their meat eating to some relatively far levels.

So I'm at the guest house, I do take dairy and eggs, I figure for breakfast I'll order a "vegetarian omelet" that's what the menu said, and I assumed I was getting an omelet with vegetables. The cook and waitress was a little woman who was pushin' 70, she was extremely kind and sweet, and was so eager to please. When she brought my omelet out it looked okay, but when I took a bite I realized it was full of chicken.

I quickly spit the bite into my napkin, and next thing I knew the little old woman was smiling in my face asking if I liked the omelet (and I could tell she was proud of her cooking), the language barrier would never allow me to explain my livity, so what could I do? I told her the omelet was delicious, I had learned how to say delicious, and gave her a big thumbs up and smile, and waited for her to go back into the kitchen as I nursed a smoothie.

Once that woman disappeared I was stressed. What the hell was I going to do with that omelet? I kept asking myself who eats chicken in an omelet anyways? I'd never even heard of eating the chicken and the egg. I realized that it was going to be offensive if I didn't eat that omelet, but I wasn't about to. What to do? I picked that omelet up and I put it in my pocket! thanked the woman, left some money on the table, and bolted out of there before the mess soaked through my pants.

So the moral of the story is....hmmm...I've got to think of one....if you're going to be a guest in someone's house, make it loud and clear that you don't eat meat before they start cooking.

In Ethiopia, I've been in numerous situations where I was served meat, and because my Amharic sucks, those serving me just didn't get what I was trying to say. Luckily Ethiopians are very respectful of One's desire to abstain from eating flesh, so after further explanation the refusal to eat meat is accepted with little harm done. With the exception, that in an Ethiopian home they're not about to let you walk out without having eaten, so they're back in the kitchen making more food.

So yeah, the moral is...let your host know (to the best of your ability) that you don't eat flesh, and if you can tell them why, then tell them, they'll probably respect the I for it.

As far as sacrificing a part of One's trod in order to not cause an offense, yeah it's hard. I am so hypersensitive to others feelings that its very hard for me to not bend for others, so when it comes to my own law I try to always be one step ahead of others in that I take care of a potential situation before it arises. I do hear what the I is saying, and I think it is up to One's and One's to do what is right for them. For I self, I don't think I can think of a time where I would bend on it though.

However, Indiana Jones did eat the monkey brains!!! I might have too if I was caught up in the temple of doom!

Selam

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/4/2011 3:00:46 PM

The I said,
-------------------------
So if yuh eat meat are yuh defiling di flesh or di i irits ?

To mi, disrespecting a sacred bond like that between i and i brothers and sisters is more a difilement of i irits than eating flesh could ever possibly be.
Is there anything more important in ini trod than Love ye one another?
-------------------------

To I, eating flesh (for Nazarites and other Hola people) is a defilement of the Irits.

I and I are not supposed to go near a dead body even if it is our family member. And if the I is talking at disrespecting a sacred bond, refusing to go near the body of a dead family member would likely be considered more disrespectful than refusing to eat flesh, but I and I are still not supposed to do it, even if it causes offence. So if I and I are not supposed to make an exception for that, I don't see how it could be acceptable to make an exception for putting a dead animal into our body.

Has the I come across a situation (since the I stopped eating flesh) where the I ate flesh out of respect to the person offering or some other reason? The reason I am asking is I wonder if the I would actually be able to do it if the situation did come about. It is one thing to talk about it, but another to actually bring yourself to do it, especially for people who haven't eaten flesh for a long time. I am pretty sure if I even tried to eat flesh out of respect, I would probably cause even more disrespect when I gag on it or puke it up.

In regards to what the I said about sacrificing a little of I trod for a moment for the good of others. It all depends on what I am sacrificing and what good will come out of it. I wouldn't sacrifice I life for just anything. If it was for the good of others, the good would have to be quite significant to be worthy of I life. And if I was going to sacrifice a little of I trod, I may drink some alcohol to be respectful, but eating flesh is too much for I to make that sacrifice just so a person doesn't feel disrespected.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 5/4/2011 8:36:29 PM

hmm, interesting
so how does one seh the dead cant give thanks and praise and then kill one of Jah creatures, di fish dont give their thanks and praise too ?
----

I won't deny that there is some level of contradiction in that example. True that the fish has as much right carry on living as I. That is something I hold dear and practice in I Livity to avoid bringing harm to all creatures but as it has been discussed already, in that example, the circumstances are extreme. To put it simply, it is I or the fish.

As the I seems to have noted already, extreme examples involving hunger don't really serve the purposes of this Reasoning.
Since the I has taken hunger out of the equasion and expanded the example of guests, I am inclined to agree with SonofMan's Reasoning more than the I's. With overwhelming hunger taken out of the equasion, I would politely refuse to eat flesh. In I culture as well it is considered very impolite as a guest to refuse food but whenever I am a guest in a household I am sure to explain that I do not eat flesh so that such offences are not caused. Occasionally, people assume when I say 'vegetarian' that I eat fish and that has caused some minor misoverstandings when a plate of fish has been put down in front of I, but never any real offence. On the whole, even when I have been a guest of families who are culturally more 'hospitiable' than the English, there has been no offence caused when I have refused flesh that has been offered to I.
I do agree with the I that the bond between guests and their hosts is something bordering on sacred but I think perhaps it is unlikely to come across an actual situation where a polite refusal to eat offered flesh would cause any real offence. Just as guests would not want to offend their hosts, so the hosts would not want to offend their guests and in I experience that mutual respect leads to mutual overstanding on issues such as differing diet and Livity when they arise. In such cases where mutual overstanding over the issue is reached, would the I still see a disrespect of that bond or I and I Brothers andd Sisters?

Blessed love.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/5/2011 10:43:46 AM

I just had an experience, not related to eating meat, but related to what I mentioned about Nazarites not going near a person who has died.

A woman who is a friend of my family, who I have known all my life and is like a grandmother to I just passed away. I just got a message at work from I mother saying that one of the daughters of the woman asked I to be a pallbearer at the funeral.

When I heard the message, it pained I because I loved the woman like a grandmother, and her children are like aunts and uncles to I, her son is even I Godfather, so I felt sad that I had to refuse the request, but I knew I had to refuse it. So I delayed calling for a few minutes to think about it, but no matter what went through I head, I couldn't convince Iself to make an exception. This reasoning topic came into I head while I was thinking about it.

So I called I mother to tell her, and then told her that I would call the daughter of the woman to tell her personally, because I didn't think it was right for I to let my mother give them I response, unless I had accepted.

So I called the daughter and told her that I couldn't do it, and I explained about the Nazarite vow and how I was not allowed to go that close to somebody who has died. I apologized and told her that I would have accepted if it wasn't for that, but that I couldn't do it.

She was understanding and didn't seem to be offended by my response.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/7/2011 11:30:50 PM

I attended the funeral of the woman I spoke about in the previous post. I stayed far from her throughout the whole proceeding, and while people went close to her to pay their last respects, I chanted for her from where I was.

Her children had no bad feelings and treated I as they always have, and I family was invited to come to their house afterwards, and the only other people there were the siblings of one family of cousins. I children brought happiness in their house, which comforted them in this time of sorrow.

When people have more Iverstanding of who I and I are and what restrictions I and I have, then they will have respect for these things; and when I and I Trod in their lives, the Blessings and Irits that I and I bring will show them the fullness of I and I Livity, and why I and I must stay away from certain things. So even if they don't have complete Iverstanding, they will have acceptance of I and I Trod.

I must speak about the woman who had her funeral this weekend, because she is a Blessed woman. Whenever I would come to her house she would always show such Love and Happiness, her Love would fill you with Joy. When I think of her, I can only think of her with a smile on her face. She is filled with the Irits of God, and it beams from her.

When one of the priests spoke about her, he refered to the Light that came out of her whenever he saw her, and the Love she showed. I Loved to hear him speak about that because that part of her must be known. She is an example for Ones and Ones Learn from. Selassie I is Love, so let I and I Love.

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I