Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=419&start_row=1

We Are All Hostages

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 9/9/2004 3:44:20 AM

"WE ARE ALL HOSTAGES"

Meria Heller
http://www.Meria.net

9/6/04

The recent hostage situation in Russia touched a lot of hearts. Many people lost their lives including over one hundred and fifty children. The outpouring of sympathy and outrage worldwide is wonderful. However, they are not the only hostages being held against their will by madmen. Today, we are all hostages.

Take a little trip to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Guantanamo Bay and it is easy to see who the hostages are. They are inside cages and being tortured like animals. To look at the makeshift Guantanamo on the Hudson during the Republican National Convention, another 1700 citizens exercising their rights were held hostage. Palestinians are held hostage by a huge wall erected for nothing less than genocide. Israeli's are hostages in their heavily guarded cities. The people of Darfur are held hostage by maniacal forces intent on genocide. The list goes on and on worldwide.

However, this isn't what I had in mind when the thought "we are all hostages" came to me, prompting this article. I thought of all the ways we each are held hostage on a daily basis by everything surrounding us. We are currently hostages of FEAR. Fear is shoved at us twenty four hours a day, seven days a week by the "free" press. It's free speech and freedom of the press provided you own the press. How many people are afraid to venture forth in their daily lives because they are hostages of fear? How many won't travel because they are hostages of both fear and anti-American sentiment created by a government that now holds the entire world hostage?

We are hostages of political parties that claim to be separate, yet neither respects the plight of the average working American. As workers we are all held hostage by a corrupt corporate process which systematically weakened our resolve to enjoy our work and be proud of our work. Of course you could consider yourself either a corporate slave or a hostage, the choice is yours. With 45 million Americans without health care, Medicare premiums going up 17%, benefits going or gone, overtime pay gone as of August 23rd thanks to the elitist in power, wars without end, an impending draft, we are hostages of a system hell bent on destroying all of us.

We are hostages of "weapons of mass destruction". Nuclear disasters — deliberate or accidental; nuclear waste on the merry-go-round around the country; biochemical weapons developed in American laboratories; pharmaceutical company blackmail; poisons in our food, water and air.

Hostages that want to fly have to clear a no-fly list. Hostages that cannot freely congregate in the streets. Hostages that cannot wear a tee shirt or bumper sticker against the leading Hostage Taker called our President without fear of serious reprisal.

In two months all the hostages will have the forced choice to either vote for Elitist Skull & Bones, Secret society, secret agenda — George Bush or John Kerry. We will all be hostages of computers that will count the votes whichever way they are programmed or hacked. We will then become hostages of "eternal war" for dominion as Iran gets targeted by the enemies of life on Earth. Our children will become hostages in a country that never did anything to us, and once they arrive there, they will become further hostages long after their tour of duty is over.

Let's look at our daily lives and some of the things that hold us hostage:

1. Our system of education — history according to the latest liar or victor.
2. Our religious system — hostages to a violent God
3. Our tax system — hostages to an illegal entity called the I.R.S.
4. Our police state — hostages to the USA Patriot Acts 1 & 2
5. Our buying power — hostages to cheap products from hostage labor in foreign countries through "big box" stores
6. Our voting power — hostages to the one party system of hypocrisy which serves only the rich and corporate interests
7. Our energy use — hostages to Oil Company profiteers; energy profiteers with no hope for free energy or renewable energy.
8. Our safety — hostages to the hatred of millions due to our horrific foreign policy and Empire.

If we were to really sit down and take a few minutes to realize the controls that are part of our daily lives and everything we do, we'd realize that we are NOT free. We are hostages. Hostages of a world gone bad, systems that no longer function, and a dishonesty that goes beyond the pale from the top of government to the very food we eat. Freedom has become a word without meaning. We are not free. We are not free to buy American made products. They no longer exist. We are not free to protest or speak freely which used to be a right under the Bill of Rights and Constitution. We are not free to question the "State" without fear of reprisal. We are no longer free in our homes as the Patriot Act has stripped us of the right of privacy. We are not free to purchase food that is clearly labeled "non-GMO" or labels giving us the country of origin. We are not free to vote for a people's candidate, as only the rich can apply for the CEO of all CEO jobs — the U.S. Presidency. We are not free to say NO to war, or sending our children to kill other people's children. We are not free to question the price of gas or food. We are not free to demand a decent living wage. We are not free when 45 million of us cannot see a doctor. We are not free when our seniors eat cat food. We are not free while one single person or Veteran is homeless in the street. I'm sure with a bit of imagination, you could come up with hundreds of more instances that prove we are hostages.

We hear that the U.S. is bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to Afghanistan, Iraq and next Iran. That is not true. Those people are hostages. Hostages of our troops and hostages of puppet regimes we put in place to control them. Heck, our troops are hostages of the madman, Rumsfeld. The people are becoming hostages of American television, American journalism, American fat-foods, etc. Here in America we are hostages of Zionist threats, spies and controls. Hostages of the World Trade Organization, International Monetary Fund, Federal Reserve and FTAA. We are hostages of warmongering neo-cons hell bent on their religious views and goal of Armageddon. Our Constitution is hostage to Ashcroft and the Supreme Injustices.

When you hear of a hostage situation anywhere in the world, remember that you too are a hostage. Whether it is a hostage of your own programming or beliefs, or all of the above, recognize it. Without recognizing it, you will stay a hostage. Freedom cannot exist anywhere unless it exists everywhere. It is time for the hostages of the world to unite and shake off the controllers who dictate our lives in subliminal and not so subliminal ways.

Recognize the power Corporations have over you, your life, your money and your government. Stop supporting them. Support locally owned stores, restaurants and banks. Stop supporting those who imprison you through their seductive television ads and magazines. Wake up. Break the chains that bind you. Don't follow blindly as people vote once more for "the lesser of two evils". Remember, its HE who counts the votes that counts. Demand true representation. Demand accountability and transparency from your government. Demand your rights as a worker in America, a senior or child in America. Our government is mowing over rights and benefits that have been in place for almost fifty years. As long as silence comes from the hostages, nothing will change. The hostages need to bend down, rip the chains off their ankles, take the gag out of their mouths and take back what is truly theirs and god-given — FREEDOM.

Meria Heller, Producer & Host of The Meria Heller Show, in it's fifth year on the net http://www.meria.net/ and WARL1320am, R.I., author of "The Awakening of An American, How My Country Broke My Heart".

"Meria is the best weapon of Mass instruction we have."

- Greg Palast

My book "Awakening of An American, How My Country Broke My Heart" is now available. Order your autographed copy by email today! Support Media that supports YOU! click here.

---

"Terrorism is the war of the poor and war is the terrorism of the rich."

- Peter Ustinov

See also:

During School Siege, Russia Took Captives in Chechnya
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/090804F.shtml

Messenger: gideon Sent: 9/11/2004 1:32:34 PM

We need to take up our power and use it. I would like to see a Africa bank and checkcard and supermarket. But right now I have to shop at the system place, which I do not support ideologically but I am forced to suuport them with my money.
Basically I am working to support the supermarket and landlord and the government, but I do not support them ideologically. That is why I know I am really a hostage and a slave.
I don't have money in the bank but when I get money I will have to put it in the bank and support them even though they are not African. They only make the rich get richer and steal the earth from the people. And I am forced to support that.
But that don't mean that I am bowing. I don't bow. I am just waiting for my time. When I get the power to have a African supermarket I will open it and it will be non-profit, all proceeds will go to a good cause. And I would love to see some Africans get together and open up a bank where all the proceeds go for just and good causes. So I can put my money there with a free heart.
A million rastaman and all of us putting our money in the system's banks and renting from the wicked and greedy landlord. We have to organize like those in the system do.

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 9/12/2004 4:03:32 AM

So so true Gideon.. I give thanks for the I's post. This is exactly the problem- His Majesty would like to see InI, as Rastafari sons and daughters, resolve. The little money that we do make goes right back into the system. We must become economically free. Many have tried to repatriate and have had to come back to the West due to means of survival not being realistic without steady income. If we plan right, our money can go into our own communities. One example is Rastafarionline. The I's at ROL are launching an independent non-profit Internet Service Provider- no more giving funds to AOL and Comcast. This is African, Rastafari-owned business where money is going into a TRUST for the elders and the service is just like any other dial-up ISP.
Other ways to become economically free is to save in this Western hemisphere and buy property. With the owning of property, ones can repatriate and collect rent from the motherland... which in exchange amounts to much more and uplifts Africa's economy.
Please post any more ideas for the freedom of RastafarI by economical means. These are the reasonings InI must be forwarding!
Give thanks Sellassie I
Blessed Love

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/12/2004 10:54:51 AM

One thing that was said in the article was to buy from local businesses instead of corporations. Sometimes we might need to buy something from the larger corporations if they are the only source. But often, if I and I look around we can buy from RasTafarI people, so I and I are supporting our Bredren and Sistren. And if I and I can't find RasTafarI people to buy something from, then I and I still can buy from the people that are not part of the large corporations and have similar ways of Livity.

As I and I buy from people with Ideals closer to our, then I and I will be strenghtning people with our Ideals and make it easier for others to do the same.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 9/12/2004 5:05:18 PM

Perhpas we can start networking what each of the is do offer in services and products.

It is so true that HIM knows that INI can live in community.

Messenger: gideon Sent: 9/13/2004 2:33:08 PM

Many people are already fighting for justice in terms of economics. Do not think that someone has to call themself rasta for them to be helping rasta cause. And don't think that just because one's call themself rasta that they are doing good.
Really it is not the name that you call something, but what it really is. For me, I don't classify corproations as bad. A corporation can be good or bad...... it is just that most corproations onlyhave greedy objectives in mind, so they end up doing wrong things like setting prices too high and causing pollution and so on.
I say that we need to look at everything that we do, and do the best we can. It's that simple. Look at your life in terms of economics. You buy products like food, furniture, apartments, bank accounts etc. Look at the result of your actions. When you buy something you support that company that produces it. If it is a good company then you are doing a good thing and if not then you are doing a bad thing. Also when you work for a company or for yourself it is the same. You are working to produce something that is being sold to other people. If it is good then you are doing good.
The whole thing is that today most companies do not identify themselves according to good and bad. We have to investigate for ourselves. And some of those who claim they are doing good are just advertising so that they can make more money. We have to look at the end results of our actions.
And this is not something that the average person can do. It requires leadership.
For me, I would like to see a man start a company producing anything, and like any company you have to advertise. But when you advertise tell the people that it is a good company - it doesn't produce any pollution, profits go to helping poor people etc.
Of all the things that I buy in my life, if someone could offer the same product but from a good company, I would buy it.
In Babylon companies compete in price and in the quality of their product. Look at any advertisement and you will see it focus on those two things. And that is how people choose what they will buy. I say that this is not good enough. They never mention how much pollution they produce and how all the money from profits goes to buy fancy cars and mansions for rich rich people. Let even one company start advertising about the goodness of that company and I guarantee people will support it. Not just rasta people, everyone would support a company like that. Look again at the things that you buy. Every single one of those things is a product that good people could produce if they just organize to do it. Go to the grocery store or walmart or home depot. All those goods in there can be produced by good people in a good way, and when they advertise the goodness of it people will support their companies. That way, the wicked companies that produce pollution and make the rich get richer and the poor get poorer will fade away.
What Ark says is the key: That in most things we don't have much choice. But WE are the ones who have to create a choice. If nobody starts a good company that produces peanut butter I will have to continue supporting JIF, because it is the cheapest. And I am helping all the pollution that JIF creates, and I am helping some rich people get richer, and they will not do anything good with their money. So basically I support a lot of wicked works in the earth, because I don't have any choice. It is up to us to provide alternatives so that we will be able to support good works.
But it takes money to do that. Who will invest the money they have for the good of everyone?

Ark,
A site like this one can raise money. Most of us can only afford a small amount but it can add up. Would you like to discuss the idea?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/15/2004 11:28:12 AM

Gideon, I never considered using the website for that purpose. Tell I what the I is thinking, and how the I think the money should be used?

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 9/15/2004 2:12:07 PM

Well, first of all let me say how I see money. It is power according to the power of the system, which is real power. Also the entire earth belongs by right to all the people of the world collectively.
Everyone who has power has the responsibility to use it well, and those who desire to do good with the power that they have should understand how their power functions so that they will know the results of their actions.
If we want to encourage people to let this website act as stewards for their money then we have to convince them that it is good for them to donate money for the website to use.
In the context of the discussion we're having now, the money would be used for business ventures that seek to take power away from greedy and malevolent enterprises by offering alternatives. For example instead of buying banking services from Bank of America which puts the profits into hands of rich greedy people, it would be good if this website could sponsor an alternative banking system, where the profits go for good uses. Of course banking services is just one example. Food, housing, clothing, and anything else is produced in the same way by greedy companies, and we can take away their power by providing alternatives.
Now any business enterprise exists because of co-operation between the investor, who has the money, the workers who provide the labor so that the money turns into a product, and the customers who purchase the product for their own use. The wicked enterprises that we see all around us function in this way and we are forced to help them in their greedy desires because we don't have alternative places to work or to buy the things we need.
If I was running a website to collect donations this is how I would do it:
1. Advertise the website by making a direct statement about the purpose of the site, why people should donate money, and how it is that the site intends to use the collected funds for good purposes. I would be happy to suggest a statement because I am good at writing and I know what the points are that need to be stressed.

2. Offer to invest the money with any firm that needs it, provided that the firm is producing a good product without harmful side effects, and provided that the profits go for good uses - bearing in mind that the profits belong to all the people in the world by rights.

3. Advertise the products being produced in this way on the site, so that people can know which firms to support. A logo would not be a bad idea, so that when people are shopping for whatever they buy and they see the logo they would know that they are doing a good thing when they purchase products with that logo instead of the alternatives made by greedy companies.

What I am suggesting is a kind of banking system. The banks in this world today operate for profit, so they invest in companies that they think will make the most money. They do not pay attention to the question of good, and they do not care if the companies they support are harmful or not so long as they make money.
We can start a bank that invests in companies according to the goodness of the company. A good product without bad bi-products is very important, and where the profits will go is also very important.
Most banks today get money from interest, which is wickedness. In the old days we called this practice usury and all the scriptures condemn this practice as wrong. The kind of bank I am suggesting makes money from donations.
Maybe when we start then other groups would start similar ventures. Maybe the day would come when people who want to earn a living would go to a website that supports good enterprise instead of to a bank that supports the almighty dollar (mammon).

Ark, just let me know if you want me to write up a statement for the site, telling people what it is about and why they should donate etc.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 9/15/2004 2:47:20 PM

Now thats not folly(lol)

I give thanks isee that you know your way around in the business world.
I do give thanks.

onelove

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 9/16/2004 1:19:35 AM

www.rastafarionline.com ;) I know the I's see me posting on Rastafarionline quite frequently, but I am thoroughly impressed with those I's works. The Bredren Binghi and Sis Leah really have the right ideas in order. All I's are invited to come to the open chat on Sundays!! Just click on the reasoning!

I give thanks for the blessed reasonings on economical collective security. Right in Sellassie I sight.
Blessed

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I