Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4103&start_row=151

Ital Cooking

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 170171 - 180181 - 190191 - 200
201 - 210211 - 220221 - 230231 - 240241 - 250251 - 260261 - 270271 - 280281 - 290291 - 300
301 - 310311 - 320321 - 330331 - 340341 - 350351 - 360361 - 370371 - 380381 - 390391 - 400
401 - 403
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: NordMan Sent: 11/1/2012 1:12:31 PM

I have met people claiming Ital is uncooked, raw, natural food.

Some say fresh but use dried foods for example which anyone can say is not fresh.

Some have learned a way and stick to that just because it fits their belief.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 11/1/2012 2:06:16 PM

Yes I my king. There are some idrens who may live ital livity at even higher ites by becoming raw italist. Raw ital may be higher than cooked ital but dat does not disqualify cooked ital from being ital still. Just like dis thread is about ital cooking so which means under dis thread I n I haffe concentrate on cooked ital. Maybe if another idren can start another thread where ones can give methods of preparing raw ital. Concerning freshness it might not necessarily mean yu get dat food from de living plant n eat it immediatetly (dat may not be possible for most ital rastas) but it mean de food has not rotten or fermented. Dry food may be said to be fresh so long as they are still in their natural state (unprocesed)e.g. rice n corn are usually stored n distributed around de world in deir dry state. I haven't yet met an ital man who seh him no nyam no dry food. Drying of food is one of de methods I n I use ina Africa to keep food fresh fo a long time. For example there are some leafy vegatables dat only grows in summer here to enjoy dis vegetables even in winter I have to dry dem n store dem to be used in winter. De same applys to corn which we growing now in summer, we gona harvest n dry it to be used in winter n de rest of de year. Bless my lord.

Messenger: Warrior Dove Sent: 11/1/2012 3:07:01 PM

My humble apologise,
I got the recipes from an site that claimed to be Ital. I wanted to Itribute, not con-tribute, some recipes. At first glance they seemed to be Ital. Now I look again and see some recipe say to "add salt to taste". I will not post another recipe here without editing first to be Ital. I should not assume that Ones will know what is Ital and what is not, Iself do not fully know, but want to learn. Neither should I assume that because a website claims to be something, it will be and that is a universal truth.

Black heart,
I am new to Ital cooking an I want to learn. I was mislead by some websites claiming to be Ital. If the I could, would you post a list on what is "not Ital" and what is "Ital"? And one question some us are are trying to find out: Is tofu Ital?
Thank You Idren for the time the I has spent on this.
Much Thanks!
Bless

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 11/1/2012 4:14:34 PM

My king Warrior Dove. I don't know tofu. So I can't talk about it. Maybe if de I can explain to I n I what kind of food is tofu. De word tofu itself is new to I. Acording to I iledge ital is natural plant food. So when de I is cookin an ital meal all de ingredients should be fresh plant food, no animal products,no salt, no chemicals (e.g. no artificial colourants, sweetners, flouvorants, additives e.t.c). Usualy all de food n drinks dat you buy prepared or cooked at supermarkets are not ital so forget about using dem as ingredients when cooking ital meal. Ital is very simple form of diet in dat de ingredients are in their natural state at which they were when taken from de garden. Even de ital meal is only ital while still fresh, once it ferments then it's nolonger ital. Even tap water is not ital so some idrens here ina Africa avoid it but dat may not be possible fo many who live in de cities. Raspect.

Messenger: Warrior Dove Sent: 11/1/2012 5:08:16 PM

Much thanks my king Black heart,
"Tofu is made from soybeans, water and a coagulant, or curdling agent. Natural calcium sulfate (gypsum) and magnesium chloride (nigari) are the most common tofu coagulants used, however lemon juice can be used too."
So most tofu uses salts to make it, so then it's not Ital. If you make it yourself and use lemon juice instead of gypsum or nigar (which are salts) then it would be Ital? Would this tofu recipe be Ital?

How to make tofu:

1. Soak the dried soybeans in 4 1/2 cups water for at least 8 hours (you’ll need to soak them longer if it’s cold). I usually soak mine overnight or up to 24 hours if it’s chilly out.

2. Grind the soybeans in batches with their soaking water in a food processor/blender until the beans are ground fine.

3. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to a boil and then add the ground soybeans.

4. Over medium heat, bring the mixture almost to a boil stirring continuously with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. Right before it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook the beans for an additional 8 minutes, stirring (it will foam up A LOT during this process. If the foam gets to high, just flick a few drops of cold water over the top. That should cause the foam level to fall back down.

5. Strain the hot mixture through a colander lined with a finely woven cotton cloth that is sitting over a bowl or pot. You want to catch the liquid–that liquid is your soy milk which you’ll be using now to make your tofu.

6. Carefully gather up the sides of your cloth and twist it closed (you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands from the heat). Using a jar or potato masher, press sack against colander, squeezing out as much soy milk as possible.

7. The pulp left in the cloth is called okara and is very nutritious

8. In a cup, mix together your chosen coagulant with 1 cup water and stir until dissolved.

9. Quickly rinse out the cooking pot and put it back on the stove. Transfer the soy milk to the pot, and cook it over low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spatula. When the the soy milk is between 150 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit, remove the pot from the heat.

10. Add half of the coagulant (2 Tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed) to the soy milk, stirring with a spatula in a whirlpool pattern. After stirring vigorously 5 or 6 times, bring spoon to a halt upright in the soy milk and wait until all turbulence ceases. Then add the remaining coagulant(2 Tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed), and this time stir gently in a figure eight pattern. When you notice that the soy milk is beginning to coagulate, cover the pot and let it sit for 15 minutes.

11. Line a colander with a clean tightly woven cotton cloth and set the colander over a bowl that can support it, or in the kitchen sink. With a soup ladle, gently transfer the coagulated soy milk into the cloth-lined colander (or tofu press if you’re using one).

12. Fold the cloth over the top of the coagulated soy milk, and place a weight of about 1 1/2 pounds on top and let stand for about 15 minutes (I use a very scientific weight system of canned goods). I like to place something between the tofu and the weight (like a plate) so that the weight is evenly distributed and gives better shaped tofu. This pressing process is to press out excess water and make the tofu firm.

13. Place a large bowl in the sink and fill it with cold water. Remove the weight from the tofu, unfold the cloth, and gently transfer the tofu into the bowl of cold water. Gently run cold water from the tap into the bowl for 15 minutes, without letting the water hit the tofu directly.

14. Serve the tofu immediately or store it in fresh cold water in the refrigerator.

Blessed Love,
Warrior Dove

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 11/2/2012 1:54:04 AM

Give thanks my king fo de recipe of ital tofu. I'll try it one day when de lemons on de tree are ready. Blessed love.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 3/18/2013 2:38:01 PM

Green mealies ital bread. Ingredients: green maize, wheat flour, bananas, chili pepper, ground nuts, soya beans. Method: I sock de soya beans in water fo hours to soften then grind it to a soft paste. I get de green maize, shell it n also grind it to a soft paste. Also I grind penuts to a fine powder, then mix de maize n soya beans paste with de ground nuts n flour all vageda in a bowl. Crush ripe banana n mix with de mixture. Chop red chilli , add n mix. Put de mixture on green maize cobs peels. Each ration of mixture in each peel is molded into shape such dat de peel covers around de mixture/dough. Then de peel covered dough rations are put in a big pot which its floor is lined with green main cobs. Then water is added in de pot such dat its level doesn't reach de dough rations. De maize cobs on de pot floor prevent de contact of water n dough. Cover n put pot on fire. De bread cooks throuh steaming. When ready remove pot from fire n serve. Blessed ital.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 5/31/2013 11:41:20 PM

be cautous when buying soy, soya beans. They are one of monsantos largest crops of Genetically modified organisms....

In USA organic SOY beans are regulated(dont know how strict that is) to be free of GMO, so be sure in America , if but soy beans they are organic and labeld GMO FREE.

Best to know our farms if possible and the foods source, ya know be connected to the the land through the food, be connected to Jah through the land...Th earth si the lrds in its fulness Jah Bless

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 11/11/2013 9:56:15 AM

InI don't really overstand the problems with salt or vinegar, unless it refers to commercial varieties. Organic raw cider vinegar has much benefit to health as does natural sea salt. Commercial refined bleached iodized 'table' salt is a poison to health for sure, but natural varieties can be had at natural food stores.

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 1/16/2014 10:34:06 AM

can one of the vegetarian brothers tell me what they eat to replace the vitamins and minerals acquired from meat? Thanks, blessed.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 170171 - 180181 - 190191 - 200
201 - 210211 - 220221 - 230231 - 240241 - 250251 - 260261 - 270271 - 280281 - 290291 - 300
301 - 310311 - 320321 - 330331 - 340341 - 350351 - 360361 - 370371 - 380381 - 390391 - 400
401 - 403

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I