Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3609&start_row=11

Poor Bred Dog

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 6/8/2014 3:07:05 PM

Having had pets my whole life I've got to say that $12,000 dollars isn't a price for any "normal" procedure. Pet ownership isn't for everybody, it is a commitment of time, activity, and yes, finances. A relationship with a dog can be an incredible thing, not like one with a child but that's a real apples and oranges comparison in I mind.

If one does decide a pet is for the I then it is a decision that should be made very consciously as you are taking responsibility for a life. Iman don't buy dogs from breeders or stores, all of the ones I share my life with are from shelters and rescues, dogs who would've been killed if not adopted. There are reputable breeders out there but do your research.

Iman has one dog I got as a pup, he was mostly bald and could barely walk right. The vet looked him over and asked I how long I wanted to keep him alive. My heart said he was wrong, so I took him home put him on a healthy diet, exercised him regularly and gave him some vitamin supplements (good doggy livity :) ). Three years later he's as healthy as can be and an incredible companion to InI. I've never been to that vet again.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/8/2014 6:42:50 PM

Awo Iyahs, I was not saying there is anything wrong with having a pet! I only said it seems not to be for Iwombman because of the reasons I&I outlined. I would never tell another One not to have a pet or that the I is morally wrong for having a pet. I just have other priorities apparently!
I had a beautiful silky black cat a few years ago, and she was a huge comfort to I during a very difficult time. But I decided against taking actions to keep the cat from enjoying the outdoors, from hunting and procreating naturally, and in the end, from running out into the wild forever (and possibly being eaten by coyotes).
Seen, the healthy doggy livity proved better than the vet's recommendations. That was one of the issues I was addressing, whether or not good health is largely preventative for dogs as it is for humans, and whether vets, like doctors, really know much at all about health.
Another question: how do the I's reason up on microchipping pets?

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 6/8/2014 7:05:10 PM

I did not take your post as criticism of pet ownership at all sister. Hope my post didn't make you feel otherwise. As for chipping, I don't, I am the leader of my pack and we move together. My companions will let me know of something amiss well before technology ever could.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/8/2014 10:55:57 PM

Blessed love Idren, I was also addressing the post by the I Eleazar.
Iman Path Walker can read Iwombman mind - I was also thinking of the benefits of having an animal in a "familiar" sense, as a psychic extension of Iself. Which is possible and obviously Iman can attest to this!
More love RasTafarI! Haile I.

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 6/9/2014 4:17:32 AM

I have four dogs, people think I'm crazy for this. They may be right :). All four hold different aspects of Iself. I have one who is not happy unless working and she keeps I active. I have one that wants for constant guidance (she will eat anything including poison because she was starved as a pup) and she keeps I Iver conscious. I have one that thinks life is a grand game and he gives me perspective. I have one who people love on sight and it is he whose vibe I try to cultivate.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/9/2014 11:15:54 AM

I thought thats the point Jah Child was trying to make..... but seeing as not i'l play that card...

So if we now know the pet-dog of today is the result of forced selective breeding of the Grey wolf over thousands of years...... for purposes of human companionship. An animal who naturally roams free, and not under the servitude of humans. The argument is if that was not God or natures intention for the animal originally, how is it ethical to still perpetuate this crime of genetics? Is this not another form of mans false sense of Supremacy? Or do humans have the right to subjugate and domesticate any animal or being he chooses?
Working with / helping / being in the company of animals while in their natural environment for example for people living in country or bush; is different to locking an animal in the confines of your home, preventing escape, dictating the dietary and lifestyle routines.

I think that would be the basis of any ethical argument against domestication of animals............. Bring some ma'at to the discussion.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/9/2014 11:17:53 AM

Beautiful explanation Idren. Iman obviously benefits from having those pet companions.
Yes I Garveys Africa, the breeding and otherwise living practices of all animals are natural things that I personally do not like to interfere with. That is why the cat Iwombman had would kill lizards every day, and then mysteriously disappeared. And I was sad, but not surprised, because that's nature.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/9/2014 11:28:37 AM

^^Oh, really............ That is nature. Preventing it would have been unnatural for true. I had some wild cats come inhabit Iman garden from time to time. Would lay out some food / drink for them for a short while before they moved on. I didn't attempt to capture them and keep any a dem, they didn't attempt to move in with I either. We interacted peacefully and kept it moving........ Domestication.... i don't know, doesn't even sound like a good word to i.....

But Iman only bringing the other side of the argument. I grew with pets still. My personal opinion on the matter would be undecided

Bless Up as always Empress

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 6/9/2014 11:37:50 AM

Well I for one don't believe that all these variations all came from the wolf. Secondly, the argument of whether or not we should domesticate dogs has been a moot point for thousands of years. It happened, now we deal with it. It is also possible to develop a symbiotic relationship with dogs, it is not always subjugation.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/9/2014 12:26:55 PM

'it happened now deal with it'

hmm. Is that similar to arguing...

'They are enslaved anyway....lets not fight it???'

- Because something has been occurring for a long time does not alone make it right.... Surprising this perspective comes up in a Rasta forum. It becomes a mute point itself to an individual with a revolutionary mindset.... I don't know if you would or wouldn't class yourself in that group I know I certainly would

The symbiotic relationship I have no problem with. But not if the symbiosis was created through artificial means, not if it is not a natural symbiosis. And not if it includes the prevention of 'escape'....... that could be like arguing an inmate has a 'symbiotic' relationship with the prison guard.

I like a good ethical debate; keep it flowing

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I