Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3524&start_row=11

the namesake

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/13/2009 11:49:03 AM

Here is a reasoning I found from Mutabaruka

-----------------------------------
So we go to Bob Marley now, because we going pick up from where, Mr. Martin tek
off, yu know, di idea of Marcus Garvey. Marcus Garvey is the forerunner of
everything whey you see a gwaan right yasso now in terms of Pan Africanism, in
terms of even how Rastafari shape the perspective because Ras Tafari who was Haile
Selassie before he was the Emperor of Ethiopia, had links with Marcus Garvey. As we
hear Tony Martin sey that Haile Selassie, I mean as Ras Tafari he was like an
emissary all over. He was doing work in England, and he was widely traveled doing
the work of the Empress in that time an Empress named Zawditu. So Ras Tafari was
really at work before he was the Emperor of Ethiopia that is why the movement,
Rastafari rather than Judaism. I is a Rastafarian rather than a Haile Selassian.
Because Rastafari the movement, developed not from 1930 when Haile Sellassie was
crowned, but from the magus, the man Ras Tafari. So it started to shape itself in the
person of Ras Tafari and then now validated itself through the crowning of Haile
Sellassie, of Ras Tafari into Haile Sellassie. So we have to understand that there is a
group of people before 1930 who was recognizing the magus before he became King
of Kings, he was the King. There is a group of people that was recognizing him as
Ras Tafari, and then it continued over into him being Haile Sellassie. But it didn’t
change the name, it didn’t change the name when he was Haile Sellassie.
-----------------------------------

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 5/13/2009 12:58:56 PM

As for what Ras I Tom said
"In an interview His Majesty called I and I Rastafarians. Is this just the english translation, or is that actually how His Majesty called I and I."

I will be able to tell you the answer to your question the day i find a version of the interview where the interviewer is not talking over the voice of His Majesty

I cannot tell the i how irritating it is to i

I hear His Majesty begin "Endezi yale kal....." and then the interviewer jumps in and i cant hear i Father anymore

"Endezi yale kal" actually means "such a word"
which i would think His Majesty is saying " i have heard of such a word"

but the translation says, "such an idea"

which is not such a big difference still, but it makes one wonder, what other words have been translated differently.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/13/2009 6:20:53 PM

BIG THANKS!!!

This all makes great sense, the reasoning with Muta, and the excerpt that Ras KebreAB put up, both make excellent points as to why the name RasTafari is used and unchanged, I don't know if we'll get anything clearer than that. I do wonder what group, or who those were that Muta is referring to that were recognizing H.I.M., is it the same Hibbert, Dunkley, and Howell that we read about or others separate from them. I enjoy the history and foundations of knowledge. Well again, give thanks for Ones bringing out the information...

Selam

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I