Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3465&start_row=1

Speech falsely attributed to H.I.M??

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 4/13/2009 7:19:32 AM

I was on world of Jah and found these two posts that someone directed me to after i posted a quote which I thought belong to Selassie I. The person said that these are not His Majesy's words.

The speech is:
"The temple of the most high begins with the human body,
which houses our life, essence of our existence. Africans
are in bondage today because they approach spirituality
through Religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors.
We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a
set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans which
were supposed to help people grow spiritually. Due to human
imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, devisive
and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or
ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was
given by the Most High. Spirituality is a network linking us to
the Most high, the universe and each other. As the essence of
our existence it embodies our culture, true identity, nationhood
and destiny. A people without a nation they can really call
their own is a people without a soul. Africa is our nation and
is in spiritual and physical bondage because her leaders are
turning to outside forces for solutions to African problems
when everything Africa needs is within her. When African
righteous people come together, the world will come together.
This is our devine destiny."

These are the article references:
http://worldofjah.ning.com/forum/topics/1042051:Topic:171686
http://worldofjah.ning.com/forum/topics/1042051:Topic:173191

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/13/2009 9:46:24 AM

When I first saw those words, I thought that the way they were written didn't really flow the same as other things I have read from Selassie I, but that could be due to the translation into English. The person saying that it is not the words of His Majesty doesn't know that for sure. I would say that it has not been sufficiently proven that the words belong to Selassie I, but that doesn't mean He didn't say them.

I read some of the reasonings regarding those words, some people claim they are from a person named Edmund Jerome Vassell, the editor of iblack.ca. When I looked into the context of those words said by Edmund, he was claiming to quote Haile Selassie I, he was not claiming those to be his own words. Also, Mutabaruka put those words in a poem (attributing the speech to Selassie I) long before Edmund mentioned them, and I have also heard that those words were circulated in a book in the 80s or 90s.

This still doesn't prove that the words are from Haile Selassie I, but there is also no proof that the words are not from Haile Selassie I. Just because the words are not in the autobiographies, or books of speeches, doesn't mean they were not said. It was never claimed that the books of Haile Selassie I's speeches are the complete list of speeches (important utterances and selected speeches are the names of the books, so that would suggest it is only some of His speeches), and I have read some speeches in his autobiographies that were not in his books of speeches.

I have wondered in the past if I should not show that speech in my list of speeches, but have decided to keep it there for the time being.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 4/13/2009 10:38:10 AM

Give thanks. I have seen this speech on a very nice huge itrait of I Majesty. I was immediately and still now moreso doubtful of the origin of the speech.

First His Majesty has NEVER referred to (apart from in this speech) Africans as being in bondage. Also... "conquerors"? And they are...?

At the end it says... African righteous people... this is not grammatically correct, also the wordsound sounds like any of InI saying it, not His Majesty. And regarding the translation... I have always been astounded at whoever was in charge of translating His Majesty's scripts and speeches, because I can't imagine how they take such complex meaning from one language to other with so much impact. Even if the issue is over translation, it definitely would not have been anybody within the court administration... So? I'm intrigued. I'm inclined to think that in truth these are not the words, but in oneness the intention of the irit, of His Imperial Majesty.

Heart of love.

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 4/13/2009 1:39:14 PM

these are the words of H.I.M i have them , there are in the third testament, i have a photo from, RASTAFARI SPEAKS with his majesty and those words, further more they are true words

and his majesty knows that Africans are in bondage and is telling us the reason why, because we seek spirituality through religion.

many times His Majesty refer to ini and ini situation example saying that a people without a country to call there own is tantamount to not having a soul. and so on

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/13/2009 1:58:33 PM

Ras Power,

Does the I remember where in Selassie I speeches those words can be found? If the I doesn't remember, does the I think that the I would be able to find them?

I would be interested in seeing it.

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 4/17/2009 4:23:35 PM

Yes Ras Power, I too would be interested in knowing what part I can find them. I have the selected speeches of H.I.M, but I have not seen that word sound of His Majesty in it. Does the I have these words in another book? I would like to know for sure if these are the words of H.I.M. I do not want to falsely atttribute anything to His Majesty.

Haile I Selassie The First!

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 4/18/2009 10:49:15 AM

the selected speeches, call third testament, 700 pages book. i had one and it must have been burnt while doing a clean up, and all where i ask to find this book i can't i bought it $105. it would be a help if the i could give i a site or a store.

this speech i have will get it, this is the end of it i think, i will post it

blessed love

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 4/18/2009 11:09:43 AM

I purchased min on Amazon, but it is published by one drop books, and on their sight I am sure you can find it, as well as other books on His Majesty and Ethiopia.

Senbat Selam!

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 4/27/2009 8:34:16 AM

Through studying HIM words more and more, I now do not think the word sound is of HIM. It does not suite HIM. For example look at this word sound of HIM:

" It is not an exaggeration that the spread of the Gospels in Africa by various Christian missionaries in the past centuries has served as a guiding factor and instrument for the freedom and independence now enjoyed by many Africans throughout the continent. As St.Paul said, 'where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty."

HIM also talks of missionaries in good ways in other word sounds also. The word sound about religion/spirituality is kind of contradictory, as here HIM is saying that the the approaching of religion by missionaries has done GOOD. Also HIM talks highly of religion.

"Progress without religion is like a life surrounded by unknown perils and can be compared to a body without a soul."

Ises itinually unto Selassie I Menen I!

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 4/27/2009 8:57:15 AM

it definitely is not in the Ilect Verses publication. The one I have is the one with foreword by Ras Miguel Lorne. It's definitely not in there. I think the possibility of somebody like Muta Baruka saying it is quite likely.

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I