Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3362&start_row=1

Psalm 107

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 2/6/2009 8:34:39 PM

I was reading this psalm 107, and this line struck I as curious

[17] Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.
[18] Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death.

What does "their soul abhorreth all manner of meat mean? This is not condemning vegan livity is it?

Or is it condemning those who are ungrateful for the food (any type of food) JAH has provided them?

JAH LIVES

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 2/6/2009 8:45:36 PM

In the third example they are afflicted because of sin, which was a hopeless situation.
Verse 17 says, "Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities,
are afflicted.
Their soul abhoreth all manner of meat (food); and they draw near unto the gates of death.

I think the word "meat" in this psalm is referring to any type of food and does not signify animal flesh

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/6/2009 10:59:29 PM

Here is the section of the Psalms. It is a nice one, so I decided to show a few more lines.

---------------------------
[17] Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.
[18] Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death.
[19] Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses.
[20] He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.
[21] Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
---------------------------

What this Psalm is saying is that fools suffer because of their wickedness. They get so sick that they can't eat any kind of meat, and come close to death. In the beginning of the Bible, it says the herb bearing seed shall be meat for man. So the Bible does use the word meat as food.

Genesis 1

[29] And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
[30] And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

And then after the flood, Jah told the people that just as he gave them the green herbs for meat, he will also give flesh for meat as well. The reason for this was that so much vegetation was killed by the flood, that there wasn't enough for them to live, so they needed to eat flesh to survive.

Gen.9

1. [3] Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things

I think that they should have stopped eating flesh when things got back to normal, but I guess people liked it too much.

Later on in the Bible, the word meat is sometimes used to refer specifically for flesh, but either way. What the Psalm is saying is that people are too sick to eat it, so it could be referring specifically to flesh, or food in general. Since it says "all manner of meat", I would think that it most likely means any food.

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I