Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=320&start_row=1

European influence on African Destiny/the '74 famine.

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/17/2004 11:57:02 AM

Iyah Greetings I

It is obvious, and there is no doubt, that the European influence in the Colonial Times on Africa is responsible for the economical disaster on the continent.
But now Iman want talk about the Sahel Zone in particular.

Sahel is the Zone south of the Sahara through the whole continent from the Atlantic Ocean to the Red Sea, so Ethiopia is direct in that area. This is where the desert becomes savannah.
It was always very hard for people to settle and live in the Sahel Zone, but through centuries they learned how to treat the nature to survive.
The grasslands they used for animals and the better soil for agriculture. So they were able to use all the soil’s energy without destroying it.
The Colonial Powers only wanted to benefit from their colonies without carrying for the land and the people. So they changed the century old way of living by making the farmer only plant cash-crops for the world market. Now they used vast lands for this and took away the land of the animal farmer. But instead of reducing the animals they got more and more to feed the increasing number of people, all this destroyed the soil and ground. On that ground didnīt grow anything more, so there werenīt any roots to tighten the soil, and that leads to erosion.
Because of this the north-African desert is getting bigger and bigger southwards.
This was the cause for the big famines throughout the Sahel Zone in the `70s and `80s.

Also Ethiopia never was under colonial rule, or used colonial methods like cash-crops, it was in high danger because it was direct in the Sahel.
The Sahel States surrounding Ethiopia used exactly these economic-destroying methods, and this economical disaster didnīt stop at state boundaries! For example, in the last 50 years in Sudan the desert became 160 000 kmē bigger.
But also the Ethiopians themselves were in a way responsible.
Like all Afrricans the Ethiopians too had the highest respect for nature in their history. This is what made the people in the Sahel survive, they lived in harmony with nature. But also in Ethiopia there was an colonial influence of nature-disrespecting behaviour.
In the 16th century the Portuguese missionaries swarmed over the whole of Africa and also came to Ethiopia and brought the increasing European influence. In those days Ethiopia was two thirds covered with forest, in 1960 only 9 percent of this area was forest.
Menelik II saw the coming ecological catastrophe that would be caused by the destroying of the forests, so he ordered eucalyptus trees to be planted in the hills instead of the destroyed forests. But it is clear that an century long process which destroyed the nature more and more cannot be turned overnight, so Haile Selassie I was also faced with that problem.
After the war British naturalists told the Ethiopian Government about the ecological danger and predicted in 1950 that about twenty years later there would be a big famine.
Haile Selassie I was completely aware of the danger and like Menelik he brought help from Europe. But though there was since the 50īs a big forestry process, it was impossible to stop what HAD TO COME after hundreds of years of destroying forests.
From the war until the Revolution an Ethiopian area big as Belgium became desert, the catastrophe was to far to be stopped!

Nature revenges! And it really does!

Bro Gad I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/17/2004 3:15:14 PM

Greetings,

Seen, Jah makes the earth to work in perfection. The problem is man isn't performing their role, but are instead abusing the dominion that was given to them.

And all the suffering that man brings to the world comes back to them. What goes around comes around.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/18/2004 8:45:06 AM

Greetings Iyah I

Yes, but unfortionally Africans now suffer from the European nature-disrespect!

Bro Gad I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/18/2004 1:45:38 PM

Greetings,

It is not only the Europeans disrespect that caused such things. It is also the Ethiopians disrespect to the land that caused it.

Selassie I warned them of this in one of his speeches:

Forestry - Arbour Day

The Europeans and North Americans are also suffering for their disrespect for the land, with cancer, other diseases and many other types of judgement as well.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/18/2004 2:11:55 PM

Greetings I

Give Thanks for the Speech!

But like I say, I think it was the European influence...

Bro Gad I

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/24/2004 3:32:55 PM

Greetings I

I just read that all the state power was since February 1974 in the hands of the Derg.
The famine was in summer... how could they blame HIM?

Selah

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/25/2004 9:41:57 AM

Greetings

It is because of propaganda that they tried to blame Selassie I

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/26/2004 8:55:42 AM

Greetings I

Yes, but a blind would see, that it is not possible to blame a man for something he wasnīt even able to do.
When they blamed the men in power for the disaster, then they blamed themselves. Nobody wanted to see what even a blind could see... they liked the version of the derg.
I read that the anti-Selassie activists, students, militarys etc, were al supported by the eastern and the western world... all wanted to seen HIM fall.
For example, the heads of student universty demonstrations were paid by foreign ambassys, and thos who joined such demos got meal-tickets.

The time from february untill september '74 was a caotic situation. Haile Selassie I had no power, the army did not follow his orders and so on. Thr rebels had now the military power but did not throw down the Emperor, and also didnīt rise a new government.

Selah

Messenger: Ras John Sent: 5/26/2004 12:50:56 PM

It's all just foolishness... It doesn't matter if it's from the east or the west, the north or the south... evil is evil, wickedness is wickedness, foolishness is foolishness, seen? By passing the blame to western society its the same as the foolish Ethiopians passing the blame of the famine to Selassie I. The Derg WAS an Ethiopian group, the students and others who protested against Selassie I WERE Ethiopians. If they were encouraged by others, it is more or less irrelevant where they were from. The thing is that the wicked were/are against Selassie I, whether they be wicked men from Africa or wicked men from Europe, it doesn't matter. By saying that it's all just the Europeans you deny wickedness from Africa, and then it is just being ignorant! Seen?

INI burn all wickedness. ALL DECEPTION! People always try to hide their wickedness by pointing the blame to someone else, we see it all through the Bible! When JAH ask Cain where Able was after he killed him, what did he say? 'I am not my brother's keeper.' LIAR! DECEIVER! Just trying to get out of his fault! Reflecting reality and honesty, though it's often a lot harder to deal with, will be the best in the end.

Which brings us back to the famine and things- even though there may have been monatary incentives by Europeans, the truth is that the Africans commited the act of deforesting the Sahel region which then spread the Sahara. It was wickedness on the part of the Europeans to encourage this, but it is not just one man's fault, and this must be noted.

One love

Ras John

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 5/27/2004 2:15:25 PM

Greetings Brother John !

Do not misunderstand I, Iman never wanted a colour-discussion here!

It is important if the ethiopian demonstraters did that by their own intentions or were just instruments. Because when they do it on their own, this show that his own people didnīt like HIM... that HIM was a bad leader. And that is just wrong!

Selah

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I