Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3094&start_row=1

1961 visit of Rastafari Bredren to Ethiopia

1 - 4
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 9/16/2008 9:56:44 PM

In 1961, the Jamaican government decided to send a delegation of both officials and Rastafari leaders to Addis Ababa to meet Emperor Haile Selassie. Rases Planno, D. Mack, and Fillmore Alvaranga were the three in the Rasta delegation. Their Minority Report of the mission differs in several significant aspects from that of the non-Rastafarian delegates[1], e.g.:

* April 16, 1961: "Later in the afternoon the Rases were invited to visit His Holiness Abuna Basilios, the Archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church at his residence. The other delegates came along too. We discussed H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie, being the returned Messiah. His Holiness the Abuna told us at the conclusion of the discussion that the Bible can be interpreted that way. We had tea and honey with him."

* April 21, 1961: "The Mission was granted audience with H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I at the Imperial Palace, Addis-Ababa. We were introduced to H.I.M., by the Minister of the Imperial Guard. Emperor Haile Selassie I welcomed the delegation warmly. Speaking Amharic which was interpreted by the Minister of the Imperial Guard, H.I.M. told us that he knew the black people of the West and particularly Jamaica were blood brothers to the Ethiopians and he knew that slaves were sent from Ethiopia to Jamaica. He said we should send the right people. The Emperor said Ethiopia was large enough to hold all the people of Afrikan descent living outside Afrika and he would send a delegation to the West Indies. Dr. Leslie told H.I.M. that Jamaica had plenty of sugar cane factories making sugar and rum. H.I.M. replied that in Ethiopia there was a refinery making sugar but not rum. H.I.M. thanked the delegation and presented each of us with a gold medal."

"All the rest of the delegation left His presence except the three Rastafarian Brethren (Bros. Fil, Mack, Planno, as we had presents for H.I.M.). Alvaranga presented H.I.M. with a wood-carved map of Afrika with a portrait of the Emperor on one side of the wooden case. The Emperor then spoke in English for the first time to us. He said, “That’s Afrika. Is it from the Rastafari Brethren?” (That showed that he knew us before). We said “Yes”. Brother Mack presented photographs of the Rastafari Brethrens in Jamaica. H.I.M. said again in English, “Photographs; thank you”. Mack also gave H.I.M. a painting of Errol Flynn’s island in Jamaica (i.e. Navy Island, off the mainland of Port Antonio). Brother Planno gave H.I.M. a woven scarf in red, gold and green. H.I.M. said “Is it you that wove it”. He said “Yes”. He said “Thank you again”. We also gave H.I.M. a photograph of a widow and six children—her husband, a Rastafari Brethren, was shot and killed by the Police in Jamaica. H.I.M. asked us to who was taking care of them now. We told H.I.M. that we took the case to Jamaica’s Premier but left the island before it was settled. The Emperor said that he would do what he could to help. We then took leave."

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 9/16/2008 9:57:23 PM

HAILE SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI
KING OF KINGS LORD OF LORDS
CONQUERING LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH
MIGHTY REDEEMER
LET THE HUNGRY BE FED THE NAKED CLOTHED THE SICK NOURISHED THE CHILDREN CARED FOR

DELIVER US FROM OUR ENEMIES THAT WE MAY BE FRUITFUL IN THESE LAST DAYS

HOLY SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI LIVETH AND REIGNETH

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 9/22/2008 8:45:45 PM

PRAISE YE THE LORD HAILE I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/23/2008 2:15:03 PM

Give thanks for the Mighty Life Giver,Mighty Councellor,Holy I Selassie I JAH RASTAFARI

1 - 4

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I