Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2883&start_row=1

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nyam Sent: 6/21/2008 4:48:17 PM

Can someone please explain to me what karma is ?-I am slightly confused.

Messenger: IDread Sent: 6/21/2008 5:07:40 PM

Blessings

Karma is supposedly a force of balance in the universe. Say you do something bad, then karma will make sure something bad happens to you. I am wondering why the I is asking about karma though... It is not something usually ascosiated with Rasta.
Also by the way my description is very basic and I'm sure that is not all there is to the idea.

One Love

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 6/23/2008 12:20:08 AM

In the midwest, most rastas speak of Karma. It is accepted that their is only positive vibe put into realm so that positive vibe return

-RSK

Messenger: IDread Sent: 6/23/2008 11:43:57 AM

In Britain I have never heard Rastas talk of karma but I suppose this is only to be expected with the development of rasta ideals that different ideas are adopted and developed in different places of the world. Although now I think about it karma does not differ much from some key ideas of Rastafari.

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 6/23/2008 2:03:39 PM

blessed love
KING EMMANUEL TEACHES US THAT MAN OF RT DOES THE WORKS OF GOD IN FLESH
WHILE MAN OF X WRONG IS OF SATAN HE SAYS THAT THE RIGHT RD LEADS TO LIFE,,
THE X
LEADS TO 6 FT 6
SO I DONT THINK IT HAS TO BE LABELED AS KARMA TO SEE THAT IF U DO GOOD U GET A BLESSIN
DO WRONG U GET A CURSE
GOOD OVER EVIL LIFE OVER DEATH IS SAYIN THE SAME THING
U ARE PAID ACCORDING TO YOUR WORKS

HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAHH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/23/2008 5:00:15 PM

According to your deeds....

this is nothing new....this has always been and will always be a cornerstone of Rastafari teaching

Did not Proverbs tell you

If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not HE that pondereth the heart consider it? and HE that keepeth thy soul,Emperor Haile I Selassie I , doth not HE know it? and shall not the Almighty King render to every man according to his works?

Love
RASTAFARI

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 6/23/2008 5:37:11 PM

everyone is judged according to his deeds. It's a universal law of "every action has a reaction" simple as that that is how Thunder God JAH Ras Tafar I made from Inciet of times. To each his own and that is karma, as Ras Kebre say nothing new, if they want to use this word, also the word satta I guess comes from sanscrit sattva witch mean light and good, for Rsampe Ital food is sattva food, it makes one satta, so I guess karma is ones judgement papers if I may say this way....

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/23/2008 7:56:24 PM

Blessed I

"the word satta I guess comes from sanskrit sattva"

Iyah,when the i say "i guess", how certain are you that this is correct.
Its not that i am saying you are incorrect.
I never reasoned with ones about this,but according to mine own reasoning,i always assumed that this word was derived from the Amharic
"satta amasagana", meaning, Give thanks
and from that,came "satta" which means to relay the idea of "calm down,dont fret or worry,the outcome is not in your hands but in the Fatherīs,so just give thanks"
i always thought it was so beautiful how one little word can describe so much
lol, have i been assuming wrong all these years?
perhaps

just to note, satta amasagana, is a bit innacurate

Actually, the ones who first popularised thay saying in their song "Satta Amasagana", the Abyssinians, realised later on that they were incorrect in their usage of the amharic, and so years later,they made another version of the same song with better Amharic.

The correct way to say it is "Set Mesgana"
or phonetically
S-he-t M-he-s-gana

Blessed Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 6/24/2008 4:53:47 AM

oh my lawd....
it was just an assumption, I guess the I is Right about this, I just assumed, because sattva has the same meaning and jamaican was influenced by indian diaspora, hence ganja, so I just assumed. I am sorry.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/24/2008 7:41:59 AM

Greetings...

If we check the first verse of Ester, it becomes apparent, that there's no reason why the Amharic and Sanskrit couldn't have stemmed from the same source. Of course Sanskrit is much older than Amharic, there's no reason why they couldn't have both evolved from a much older Ethiopic language still. Give thanks for the lesson on "Satta Massagana", I was always told it was Amharic with a Jamaican twist or something, but I was like no that's not really Amharic as I study it, but now it's a bit clearer, I'll look forward to finding the Abyssinians revised track though.

SELAM

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I