Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2231&start_row=1

Zim Elections 2008

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/20/2007 5:12:56 PM

Zimbabwe passes 2008 election law
Zimbabwe's parliament has passed a compromise bill on constitutional change that will allow presidential and parliamentary elections in 2008.
Members of parliament from both the ruling Zanu-PF and the fractured opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) supported the bill.

All 111 MPs present voted in favour of the bill to amend the constitution.

The bill, the result of talks led by South Africa, allows parliament to pick President Robert Mugabe's successor.

The amendments are expected to re-draw electoral boundaries, increase the number of MPs and bring forward parliamentary elections by two years.

New consensus

The bill also allows parliament, dominated by Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF, to choose a presidential successor if the incumbent does not finish his term in office.

Analysts expect Zanu-PF to dominate the joint parliamentary and presidential elections next year and for Mr Mugabe to then put a hand-picked successor in place.

But MDC member of parliament Trudy Stevenson told the BBC news website that Mr Mugabe may not have enough support within Zanu-PF to install his own choice as president should he leave office early.
Mr Mugabe, 83, has been president of Zimbabwe since independence from the UK in 1980.

The country is in the grip of a deep economic crisis which saw inflation soar past 7,000% in July before slowing in August to about 6,500% - still the world's highest rate by far.

There is a new spirit of consensus between the MDC and the government following talks mediated by South Africa's President Thabo Mbeki, says the BBC's Peter Biles in Johannesburg.

The MDC supported the bill because it will eliminate appointed MPs from parliament and will make the commission in charge of re-drawing electoral boundaries more independent, said Ms Stevenson.

The opposition still wants a completely new constitution, but Ms Stevenson said an understanding had been reached in the mediation process to produce such a document.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/20/2007 5:17:54 PM

Praises
If Mugabe picks a successor it might actually be better than having elections. At least opposition supporters won't be too initmidated to vote (even though they're still targets daily), but I think the successor might be less harsh ruler. Its not a solution but one per cent of change is better than none at all.
Bless

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/21/2007 10:26:59 AM

One solution to Zim's problems would be lifting of sanctions on the place. How come when everyone is saying it's hard to get this, or get that in Zimbabwe... how terrible is Mugabe... etc etc... no-one says;

Those crazy-*ss Colonialists are trying to make sure we don't get the simple things in order to sabotage our effort, they're evil!!

But they actually think this same set of Colonialists are the ones who hold the solutions. Nuts.

Honestly... I've been doing a lot of research in the recent months relating to initial arrivals of threat on the West of the Continent (15th - 17th century)... and honestly... the politrickal maneouvering has not changed a bit, trust me. And nuff of InI are still fool fool over foreign trinkets and liquor.

I just hope the wicked man does not try and flip the script tomorrow and InI get caught early in the morning and tied up again in blatant slavery. Based on the types of things I've come across in my research, no one should really talk about the olden days. The same sun is rising on the face of the same Earth. There is only one day and one night. There has never been any others.

I was speaking to an Iemple the other day through work... he is from Zimbabwe and is a Mugabe supporter. For me, boy... until I go to Zimbabwe and SEE differently with my own eyes... I can say when it comes to politricks, give me Mugabe anyday over Gordon Brown. Straight.

The said Iemple was reasoning something to me which I found very interesting and amusing. We were talking about the international criticism of Mugabe's slum clearance strategy, and he said to me... listen, these people are rrreal hypcrrrites (love how my Shona people rrroll theirrr Rrrr's. LOVE it). He said, "the ather day, I took my wife to see something. We live in a rural area, and the other day I heard commotion and looked outside of my window. I saw, in the distance, a steam roller moving towards the settlement of travellers (gypsies). My wife and I walked to the scene, I wanted to take photographs and send to people back home to show them the hypocrisy. They steam rolled down the gate, and anything that was left in the way. They didn't give the people ANY notice, other than the few moments they had to MOVE before the steam roller moved in. At least Mugabe gave a deadline. It may have been totally unflexible, but people had notice..."

Interesting...

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/21/2007 11:06:18 AM

Blessed Love

Yes very interesting.

lol Give thanks for the vivid discription, Yaa, i could almost hear the idren´s voice.
It is a very important reminder that the i did just send out, nothing is changed indeed and ini cant put anything past babylon, we done know the evil babylon capable of

As always when i hear something potentially upful for i Africa, i will pray that Jah will guide the footsteps of all those involved.
Sometimes i feel like shouting at the follies of the world. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO DO GOOD, i mean come on

could the i them plz tell i more about what sort of sanctions are in place right now

Give thanks
Rastafari

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/21/2007 11:26:59 PM

Blessed Love
The thing is Zim’s problems are not going to be solved by lifting sanctions. Its the house itself that needs cleaning up not its dealings with other states. Mugabe is only a part of the problem and its so complex its not going to go away overnight. I have much raspect for Mugabe esp cos he has the guts to stand up to the West and tell them off, as well the land programme. It was a necessary move and long time the white minority had been living off the fat of the land, but why does the bulk of the land still sit in the hands of his allies? That's my gripe with him, it is the way in which he chooses to enact his policies. If land is re-possessed why must the Black farm labourer be beaten, raped and abused by the militia? If land is repossessed why must equipment be destroyed by war vets? Why was it not done procedurally so people could learn how to farm and not patch gardens on estates? If he tells off the West, why then does he turn around and punish his own people for this? I’m not anti-him at all, no I just don’t think the people should suffer for their leaders. I’ll just list a couple of things so y’get what I’m on about, and if you don’t think I opinion is credible y’can check local papers (both state n private owned: www.herald.co.zw, www.fingaz.co.zw, www.zimdaily.com and www.the independent.co.zw – this one’s good) and you can make the connections as y’see fit:
*Right now he has so much power he can arbitrary laws and pass through parliament – like this bill allowing him to chose a successor instead of doing it according to the vote system as was previously done and so he has power to make what he sees as law fit. For I it might be a good thing because then it avoids election violence but whose to say his successor will be any better? From the hopeful contenders my best pick is Simba Makoni (Former Finance Minister, brilliant economist who could turn things round) but he’s so far down the popularity scales there’s not much hope for him.
*The Spy Bill passed recently allowing govt to access all emails, phone calls, mail, text messages as long as they are within Zim domain.
*The 1 August Bill which prevents people from importing food into the country meaning businesses dependent on imports cannot function – there are few products in the country, so many things are in short supply. No bread, no sugar, no mealie meal no petrol and everywhere people have to queue. Its become the norm for us and I got used to life like that after a while but I know things shouldn’t be so if the country was flourishing.
*Mugabe is not an economist he’s proven that time and again - (e.g ESAP, land reform, Vision 2020, Murambatsvina: Urban Cleanup) and really should leave the finance to those that know best. In Aug 2006 the govt decided to declare a new currency and introduced a new set of notes and slashed three zeros so that whatever was 1000 was now 1. To do this takes a huge budget, proper planning and procedure – neighbouring Mozambique has been preparing for their currency change for three years but somehow The Reserve Bank of Zim was convinced we’d do it in 21 days. That’s all the notice people had – nevermind the folks in the rural areas who’d not been properly educated or those who had no access to banks since they live in the village. There was a huge uproar so they extended the deadline for them by a few weeks more. Anyway inflation went down by under 200% everyone cheered but that was a natural effect of a slash-zero scheme, the backlash was yet to come. Today inflation is at over 8000% which ten times more than it was last year when the three zeros were removed. And there’s been rumours of a new currency yet again! Jah knows this is not helping and we don’t have a national budget for such a drastic change again.
*Price controls in Zim are not helping the situation and just another way of stifling industry yet this is what the country needs the most to get us out of this economic situation. Its another way of delaying the inevitable soaring prices of things but the day those controls are removed, prices will hit the roof and so will inflation.
*Now regardless of what Mugabe does in relating to the West or whoever comes to power next, that person must have the heart of the people first. It’s a bad situation in Zim – daily there are power cuts, water cuts and salaries are not enough for people to sustain themselves. Empress Yaa I wish I could take you there so you would see what’s really going on. I am not saying we are crippled nor are we on death’s door, somehow Zimbabweans survive and still manage to enjoy life. I miss home and have more fun there than I do in the UK. I really dislike that this is the seat of Empire and I’m reminded of it every single day when I see those dull Victorian buildings and see those awful reality shows of so and so goes to ‘discover’ India or so and so goes to Africa to build a hotel in rural Uganda. I was livid when I saw that show! It’s getting worse and colonialism wears many faces you have to keep on the ball to spot all of them before you sell your nation to these greedy capitalists.
Now there’s the Africa-EU summit and Gordon Brown is not going if Mugabe is invited and decides to attend. Brown’s playing the politrickal card bullying people so Mugabe is not invited and if he is Brown won’t go so that means all his allies will be forced to do likewise in solidarity or they’ll just be diplomatic and nothing will come of the summit. So again Africa loses whatever could have been gained from this summit.
But one day of victory was Zim v Australia in the cricket. Ha ha that was David v Goliath. Those Aussies underestimated a team of 9 out 11 Black players and we whipped them. Ha ha!
There are a lot of positive things abt the Zim situation tho, like the music industry flourished when the law became 100% local. Now people actually listen to the local music and there are so many young up n coming artists of all genres. And more importantly in spite of everything people are still human. Its not like here where its me first, job first, people second or third or never. It’s a ratrace inna dis Babylon, it’s hard to move to this rhythm and its taken I a long, long time.

Sabbath Ises
Jah Live

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/22/2007 12:22:48 AM

I don't know of the details of what goes on in Zimbabwe, but when we talk about blame, it is unlikely that it will be in only one place. Mugabe has his part and the babylonians that downpressed them had their part. babylonians get vex when their downpression is hindered by the people they downpress. History shows this over and over again.

When I went to Cuba, a guide was saying that a foreigner is not allowed to walk around with a Cuban, if they are seen the police will make them go their separate ways. Only Cubans that are registered guides or other registered tourist personnel that deals with foreigners are allowed to walk with them. One man on the bus thought this policy was wrong. I said that Fidel Castro is a very smart man for making this law. If it wasn't so, Cuba would be a territory of the united states. This law is to prevent american cia or whatever other related organization to cause strife amongst Cubans and cause unrest in their country. Castro knows that the united states are always trying to find a way to destroy his country, and he is smart enough to know what is necessary to stop them.

It is terrible that Castro had to do this, but people are looking in the wrong direction when they think they see the cause. If Castro didn't have to worry about his country being taken over or exploited by america, he would never think to make such a law.

People don't Iverstand babylon war strategy, it has many layers.

This is a reasoning I made over a year ago,

------------------------------------------------------------------
Economical Warfare

Here is a quote from a reasoning I made two years ago
---------------------------------
Babylon puts sanctions on the country to starve the men, woman and children. The sanctions prevents the people from selling their product to get money to survive. Long established trading routes are severed, so people lose their jobs, and companies go bankrupt. So the country becomes poorer and poorer. And if they need to buy some food or supplies from another country with the little money they still have, they are prevented from doing this; and since these things were purchased from others for such a long time, they are not able to produce enough themselves for their people, and for certain things, they don't even have the means to produce any.

This is a silent killer because the world doesn't regard these economical weapons as weapons of war. And the world thinks it is alright to starve children indirectly, but there is outrage if you drop a bomb on them. Because instead of blaming Babylon for the starvation of the children, they blame the government of the country that is being starved. This economical warfare is the most cruel warfare of these times, because it is tolerated and ignored by much of the world so it continues for a long time, and the parents must watch their children slowly starve and die.

I just came across this today:
President Woodrow Wilson of the United States stated in 1919:

A nation that is boycotted is a nation that is in sight of surrender. Apply this economic, peaceful, silent, deadly remedy and there will be no need for force.

Quoted in G.C. Hufbauer, J.J. Schott, K.A. Elliott, Economic Sanctions Reconsidered: History and Current Policy, Second Edition, Institute for International Economics, Washington, 1990, p. 9.
------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the link to that reasoning:

Economical Warfare

Here are some other related reasonings,

Babylon Charity - part 1

Babylon Charity - part 2

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/25/2007 11:36:35 AM

Ises
Its like they say, when two elephants fight its the grass that suffers.

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I