Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2069&start_row=11

ziggy marley

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/14/2007 7:00:58 AM

respect dominiq yehyah anbesa,

i would be happy to discuss the "rules and regulation" aspect of things if the i would like, but my original post on this thread was an interest or curiousity with what appears to me as an important evolution of ziggy's music.

i personally think he is on a path that will continue to bring mankind together.a few albums back he had the song "we are one"

i do not hear him really mention very often jah or selassie i in his music and i am ok with that, because it seems to me as if they are guiding his words, but by not using them he may actually reach more people.

and after seeing that car yesterday and watching the news around the world ---- his message is needed.

much respect

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/14/2007 7:11:45 AM

Ises

I see, no problem.

Well, I like the metapher that I n I is JAH's toolbox. You have many tools for different purposes. You know, like Bob too, Ziggy does approach all people. And Bob too did very rarely mention King Selassie I name in his songs. Different people have different purposes. Many "normal" people could never relate to Selassie I being mentioned. So Ziggy gives them an introduction that all can understand.
But I must admit that I do not know much of Ziggy's music. My Queen has the Dragonfly Album. But I feel what the I is saying.
To me it seems this kind of music is not directed at Rasta. Because I for myself prefer his Brother Damian or Sizzla and so on, because I like music which praises King Selassie I name Itinually. As i said Ziggy's music is like an introduction, and Rasta does not need no introduction no more, Rasta is already one step further.
That is why it is important that there are different kinds of music for different kinds of people.

Basically the question often is: Rasta OR Artist. Because Artists often forget the principles and you see them smoking tobacco drinking Alcohol and in this disrespecting their creator Haile I King Selassie I. That is why I stop wondering is he Rasta or not? All that counts is: is his message righteous and positive? Everything else is his personal concern.

Selah

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/14/2007 11:48:15 AM

Would you concider Hip-Hop a religion?
How about Jazz?

Both of these musical styles developed a culture, or more acuratly, out of a culture. Both have been adopted by those who don't understand the deep love and underlying lifestyle that accompanies the music, but neither will ever truly die.
So it is with reggae, king's music. You can take the message out of the music, but not out of the musicians, the followers and the believers.
Religion is a construct developed around a concept of good and evil. Religion is ritual, something you do that honors or appeases a godlike being who gives and takes away based on the level of dedication to ritual a person observes.
Rastafari, like Hip-Hop or Jazz, is a way of life. Everything one does; hair, clothes, food, drink, language, expression of self in every aspect; is a outward manifestation of a personal belief system. The difference is that culture comes from inside ones self, religion is outside of Self. A person must become worthy of love and forgiveness, must sacrifice, must reject the body and all desires of the flesh to become religiously whole. Rastafari is the exact opposite, one must become immersed in Self, removed from outside influence, in order to be whole.
Religion is dictated by a system or order of governance and authority. Spirit is everything, no person can be closer to Spirit than any other person. One can be more in tune, or in harmony, with Spirit but Spirit is available to anything that wishes to embody it.

As for society girls and musicians,
Who did Jesus the Christ choose as his female companion?
Help not those who can help themselves, help those who are lost and crying out. A candle barely shines in the sunlight, but in a dark room one candle can be salvation, seen.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/14/2007 1:22:31 PM

Ises

A true word and interesting point of view. It's the sick who need the doctor.

Selah

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I