Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2013&start_row=11

Orthodox Rasta?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 58
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 9/14/2007 2:21:07 PM

Greetings All...

It would seem quite natural (to me, anyways) that One following the eternal example of His Majesty would participate in the EOTC. Baptizing and going to church may seem like a very Christian thing to do, and that's probably why the Rastafari movement is constantly countered by fundamentalist Christians trying to say "you follow a Christian King, so why aren't ya'll Christians?", however, His Majesty was not a Rastafarian, same way Iyasus was not a Christian, they merely encourage Ones to enter the gate by means of following the example.

I've met several Rastafari people who did call themselves Orthodox Rasta, and claimed that title apart from any other affiliation. Each one of them holds His Majesty in different regard, as they are individuals themselves. Knowing many more Ethiopian Orthodox Christians, I would say that they too hold His Majesty in different regard, as it is their respective life experiences that have shaped their view of His Majesty. As far as livity goes, and the strictness thereof, it would seem that Orthodox people hold to a very ancient and sincere order of daily practice. Orthodox customs and culture are not totally defined by the Church either as individuals perspective and focus can go in different direction.

I personally do not know if there is a formal Orthodox "Mansion", I have seen somewhere online something about the Rastafari Orthodox Church, I'll try to find a link later. But I would say that entering into the livity of the EOT faith is different than simply going to an EOT Church. Bahatawi being a prime example of Orthodox people who actually refuse to enter churches altogether, and whose faith is, again, determined by themselves, as Bahatawi are not accustomed to traveling in large groups (at least I've never seen more than two together).

It is worthy of mention, and I'm sure most of the I's here know already, that His Majesty Qedemawi Girmawi Haile Selassie I is the head authority of the EOTC, ranking higher than the Abuna. It is also obvious that since His Majesty's Maha Samhadi there has been no other in the EOTC hierarchy to assume His role. Also, in response to Rook Fari Selah's comment of "less than a Saint, right?", I must say that the EOTC has given the title of Saint to many of Ethiopia's past Emperors, and it has always been a source of disappointment to I personally that they haven't afforded His Majesty the same, as He is undoubtedly deserving of the title. However, there could be two different reasons for not giving His Majesty the title of Saint. One, both Mengistu and Jeles Zenawi have serious issues of contempt for His Majesty and it would be no surprise to I if the Church has held back on giving His Majesty His title due to fear of punishment from rulers past and present. The second reason for not calling His Majesty a Saint could very well be because the Church knows all too well that His Majesty is the fulfillment of the Christly example on Earth and Sainthood would not do Him justice.

Either way, in Ethiopia, amongst those participating in Ethiopian Orthodox livity there is most definitely a reverence for His Majesty and I would assert that it ranges from divinity to a huge respect for a great King. And to this day it is not hard to find a beggar on an Addis street who is asking for change in His Majesty's name while in the next breath they ask for it from Iyasus Kristos and Mariam too. For some there simply is no separation while for others there is, some will blatantly say it one way, while others keep it to themselves. Surely if you sit in silence or scream in the street One's level of devotion is not determined in the minds of others.

SELAM

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/14/2007 2:22:38 PM

BLESSED LOVE MY LORD
YOU ARE FRO ITHIOPIA
BLESSING STO U AND YOUR FAMILY
I TOO MET
A YUTE IN ATLANTA NAMED ADONI
HE AND HIS SISTER
WERE AT THE GREY HOUND
WHEN HE SEEN I TURBON HE CAME AND SPOKE TO I
WHEN I TURNED AROUND WITH SELASSIE I ON MY SHIRT
HIS SISTER WALKED AWAY
SHE LOOKED SCARED
BUT HE TOLD I HE BELEIVES THE KING IS CHRIST BUT HIS FAMILY WAS SOMETHING CALLED 3 WAY OR SOMETHIN
CATHOILIC ORTHODOX AND JEWISH
DO I GOT THAT RIGHT
IF SO
PLEASE TELL I OF IT IM VERY INTERESTED IN THE IR VEIWS
AS FOR YOUR DEAR MOTHER
SHE HAS THE SAME VEIW OF MOST ETHIOPIAN AFRICANS ON HIS MAJESTY
ORTHODOX SAYS HE WAS PROPHESY FULL FILLED BUT WAS ONLY AT A CERTAIN LEVEL OF DIVINITY NOT GOD
BUT GOD SENT

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/14/2007 2:26:09 PM

SON OF MAN THANK U FOR BRINGIN
GOOD REASONIN
TOO THIS FORUM
HAILE RESPECT
VERY VERY INSIGHTFUL

Messenger: kayaisesajah Sent: 9/21/2007 7:53:23 AM

Blessings to All, All Houses, All Rastafari, Christian, whomever...Blessings!

I jus wanted to RASpond to Rook Tafari, bless Iyah, nice to sight the I once again and hope to reason with the I further as time goes by.

I dont view it as important however, to mek every I see things as I do, so let I stress here that it is only for clarity that I am RASponding to some of what has been talked about allready here.

Ones asked why InI refer to InI selfs as Rastafari, if InI do not hail His Majesty as Jah. Allso ones ask why InI do not refer our selfs as Christian. I answer to that is this...firstly, Rastafari are the Original Christians...look pon the Orthodox Church. Been here from BEYOND all other churches, beyond the abominable Roman Church, beyond all other 'new' churches.

Yes I suppose ones might want to call InI 'Selassian' since there is a trend in the churchical system to appoint the name after someone who they are following (like the ones called Lutheran, who are following after Martin Luther), but truly InI call InI selfs after Rastafari, becuz it is InI Rastafari who strive to Follow closely His Imperial Majesty, all of his Reasonmants, all of his Utterances, His Life. There is no where within Rastafari that says InI must hail H.I.M as God. Yes some do, but NOT ALL. InI do not.

It have allways been said that Rastafari is not no relgion. I agree with that age old statemant (I been hearing that from the 1970's but strange how ones allways try to tun Rastafari, the movemant, into a relgion still). This is a Spiritual Livity. A Livity, a WAY OF LIFE, nuh true? And for some of InI it is within InI Culture.

Yuh see, Rastafari is multifaceted. There are White Rastafari now, Chinese, Jahpanese, all kinds. And the Culture of Upliftmant is still focusing on the same thing, same way. It is why InI call it a Livity still. Yes some houses are less ritualistic, some say they keep this trodition, some keep it, some dont, but true, same way, alla wi are looking toward the voiceless, trying to give voice to them, looking toward the Diaspora trying to mek things right and better for InI.

Rastafari is a movemant of the Righteous, fighting, striving for Equal Rights and Justice, and a Livity of same. Within Rastafari right now, there is many ways to Jah. Some will hail His Majesty as Jah, some will say H.I.M. is Christ in His Kingly Character. Some say Prince Emmanuel is the Black Christ in Flesh. Some will say that His Majesty taught and pointed InI toward Yahshua, the Messiah. Does 1 view mek ones more Rastafari? What if ones chanting Nyahbinghi all day long but arent doing a thing for the REST of the Movemant. Jus like if ones is claiming to be Fulfilled and never showing no evidence of it. Same way, useless in I view. That is one of the reasons why InI are trying to say something, and at the same time, DO SOMETHING.

Again I am not trying to assert I views. This is again I views and I been wrong before and sure know seh I can be wrong again! But nobody can CONtrol a next persons views. Uhuru!!!!! Freedom!!! Mi love it, to have Uhuru in the Midst of BabyWrong, Freedom to choose I own path and Experience Jah in the way He reveals Him Self to I. That is what to I manifests when I am not influenced by he said, she said, he does this, so I 'should' do this. No man, mi come too far fi dat!

I will allways RASpeck I Bredrin and Sistren of all Rastafari Houses, no matter what they view as Right and Correct. From they are living Upfull and trying to DO something for the Movemant, they have I complete and utter RASpeck and Love.

More Blessings to All pon the Board.
Come visit InI at www.fulfilledrastafari.org

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/21/2007 8:14:44 AM

" Some will hail His Majesty as Jah, some will say H.I.M. is Christ in His Kingly Character. Some say Prince Emmanuel is the Black Christ in Flesh. Some will say that His Majesty taught and pointed InI toward Yahshua, the Messiah. Does 1 view mek ones more Rastafari? "

These are not different views, just different strains of the same view which is based on the knowledge that Emperor Selassie I is the Almighty, no apology

Still, I aprecilove the i coming and clarifying your position but

"There is no where within Rastafari that says InI must hail H.I.M as God. Yes some do, but NOT ALL. InI do not.",

i fail to overstand this.

Messenger: kayaisesajah Sent: 9/21/2007 8:20:30 AM

More Love Iyah, and give thanks for the greeting. Yes I, no where within the whole movemant is it a requiremant to hail His Majesty as Jah Allmighty. IF that was a Requiremant, then 12 Tribes would not be in existance today, as neither would Orthodox Rastafari, or Fulfilled. The fact remains that InI are here and as 12 Tribes and Orthodox evidences, Fulfilled Rastafari are not alone in this trod. Blessed Love!

Allso Iyah, the I said that the Bobo view point and the Nyahbinghi viewpoint are all different strains pon di same view point. But there is more than jus 2 viewpoint within Rastafari. That is a fact Iyah. So the I is right, there are different positions, but still I point is that none is more right, only to the Individual that chooses what House they belong to. To I, I House is Right for I. Mi never know what is Right for the I. Mi leave that up to the I and the I Jah. Nuff Raspeck

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/21/2007 8:36:34 AM

First i never said, there are only two view points.
But as long as you dont hail HIM as God and King, as far as i am concerned you are not in a House of Rastafari, the fact that TTI and Fullfilled exist is not proof of anything to I

This is not about what is right to i and what is right to you.
This is about the Right

Yes Rastafari is a spiritual trod, but based upon One indisputable, indivisible Truth, He is the King of Kings Lord of Lords Conquering Lion, Elect of Jah and Light of the World.
72 nations accepted this and bowed down before HIM, it hurts i to see i own idren fail to do the same

Messenger: kayaisesajah Sent: 9/21/2007 8:53:35 AM

Not here Iyah, to argue or fuss an fight, but fact is fact and there is More than the I interpretation. Even down to a one soul. Yuh cyaa expect to tell ones to what house they belong AND yuh cyaaa tell ones they do not belong to Rastafari Movemant. Folly talk really. InI dealin wid di real world Iyah, many trod even without a House seen, and still mi woulda never attempt to tell ones dem nah Rastafari still, if them is upfull and righteous. InI are trodding alongside of Nyahbinghi, Bobo, 12 Tribes all the same. InI are not partial in that aspeck. Jus partial when it come to InI view. InI love and revere His Majesty period, no apologys. More Love. Pray fi Overstanding still.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/21/2007 9:08:35 AM

Sorry you feel that way sis, but to deny the King is Folly of Follies to I

oh, and just so you know, this is a man who doesnt really belong to any house speaking to you

Messenger: kayaisesajah Sent: 9/21/2007 9:17:37 AM

More Love Iyah. One of the things InI King His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I the first said was that what will keep InI people down is not the enemy but the argueMANts and differences between InI. The reason he said this is crucial. That is why I say that InI must instead of focusing on the differences, focus more pon the similaritys. InI are working toward African Liberation and Uhuru. If the I is working for the good of the Diaspora and for the bettermant both Abroad and at the Local Level the I is doing the works, whether yuh Binghi or Bobo or Ethiopian Orthodox, to I it is Folly to try to focus on INI VIEWS rather than INI WORKS..by now everyone round the cyberspace neighbourhood know where to find certain views, certain information. InI can tek that information and find within InI town, city or parish, how to seek likeminded ones. But to support, encourage and empower ones is what I am seeking to do within I own house. The I have the I view. I have I own. What is Folly of Follys to I is to allow the differences to stop the works, by InI even spending time pon the net to keep this focus on simantics is folly, when there is things to be done in flesh yuh see it? So I am going to limit I talk talk and keep current on I works seen? No DisRaspeck, never, ILoved. The I knows where to Find I if the I wants to reason more. Jah Love! Lets not flood this board wid too much words.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 58

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I