Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=175&start_row=51

Islam and Rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Erik Parker Sent: 9/26/2007 11:23:19 PMHidden - Foolishness
View Message  Reply

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/27/2007 12:03:36 AM

YO IM GETTING OFFENDED
EVEN THO I HAD MY EARLY DAYS ISPERIENCE IN ISLAM
IM GLAD I WAS SAVED BY THE ALMIGHTY
BUT I STILL LOVE THE DISCIPLIN AND LOYALTY OF MUSLIMS THEY DEFEND THEIR VINE AND FIG TREE
ALSO HIS MAJESTY WAS ONE OF THE FIRST EMPEROR
TO GIVE MUSLIMS RIGHTS IN ETHIOPIA
ALTHO MUSLIMS COULDNT TAKE THE THRONE
HE STILL FOUGHT DISCRIMINATING THEM
ALSO HER MAJESTY EMPRESS MENEN IS MUHAMMEDS GRAND DAWTA
THO SHE IS A CHRISTIAN NOT AMUSLIM
THE SOLOMONIC DYANSTY MARRIED MUHAMMEDS DYNASTY
ALL THO HIS GRAND DAWTERS ARE CHRISTIAN

AND ERIK PLEASE SHUT YOUR MOUTH IN THOSE TONES SPEAKING ABOUT MY MOTHER AND FATHER
U DONT SPEAK LOOSLEY WHEN MENTIONING KING AND QUEEN OF CREATION
U MIGHT BITE YOUR TOUNGE OFF FALLIN DOWN ON THE CONCRETE
THINGS LIKE THAT HAPPEN TO BABYLON DAILY

SPECIALLY WITH YOUR SRCASTIC JAH BLISS INI
FIRE BUN
I SEE RIGHT TRU U
THE I IS PLASTIC
OUT OF ORDER YUTE

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/27/2007 7:03:51 AM

Hehe...

WHY am I NOT surprised? I haven't been on here for a minute... and I come to check it out... and look, look, look.

LMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO LMAO LMAO!!!!

Blessed Love RasTafari... Haile I Selassie I first... Seven of MAN... Alpha & Omega...

I gotta chant a wordsound before I start to say anything...

Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I... JAH... RasTafari... cut & clear... left foot forward and we trample down evil. Seen?! Selah.

The only thing I have to say is that I am glad and overjoyed that as it was, and still is, the ones who sell out InI livity do NOT own it to sell. Those who think they can buy it out from those willing to sell are being bumped. Why don't you go and buy a plot of land from a passer by who has NO title deeds, no ownership, no IGHTS, no meds, no rems, no Igher Ights, no innection, no 'I' within their selves.

It was no surprise further to me to see my dear Sistah, Ten (out of...?), engaging in the negotiation in her further haste to sell InI out to the most "reasonable" slave master / bidder. Good strategy, beloved! Thumbs up. As the I is having further demonstrated in front of your face... there is NO COMPROMISE. That is not my advice to you, that is the FACT of the matter. The compromise you are engaged in does not exist to those who you are intending to compromise with. They see your compromise as an indication of your weakness and evidence of your inevitable submission. I'm TELLING you straight what they see, cos we can see it too. No wonder we were here debating "Islam". Did somebody translate that for us...? Oh yeah... what is it... "submission".

No prizes for guessing where I am on that question.

But as I say, those who hold the deeds don't look like they're interested in selling. So that sets my irits at rest.

In fact, I am ecstatic to see, read, feel all of wha gwan right now... cos it is pure prophecy and history. I give ilahful thanks to my Bro. Anbesa right there for putting us in the international frame and I am glad to see all wolves in RasTa clothing EVERYWHERE in this world exposing themselves as demons chewing at their own tongues, tormented, seeking, blind. InI can only look on and feel the pain of Earth Mother knowing of the death of her chidren. Their judgements are coming on, brought on by their own actions and intentions... there is nothing InI can do. All seals have been bust.

More sincerity, more priyers for a fullness in the redemption of the House of Israel... Selassie I first.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/27/2007 7:23:34 AM

November 2 1930

Emperor Haile I Selassie I the First Overtake them All

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/28/2007 6:38:43 AM

Greetings Empress Yaa
As you are not surprised by my position I too am not surprised by your response, I know this is the way you are, fiery and very cut n dry in perspective. And for someone whose done cultural studies I thought you might see the power of negotiation for all identities are negotiated existences and the result of cultural interaction are hybrid subjectivities. The same is to be said of Rastafari, it’s not a purist faith, please don’t confuse this with authenticity, but I’m saying that the way in which Rastafari emerged as a movement was as a hybrid product of several cultural ideologies – Black Consciousness, Diaspora, African lineage and Biblical prophecy. And because this in Rastafari the overacrching principle is that Rastafari is about mental and physical emancipation in every sense of the word. And so specific yet simultaneously diverse is this way of life that there are many ways of overing Rastafari and it’s comes down to the individual dread. How one shapes their identity in Rastafari is informed by their environment, and there are those such as yourself who chose to take up an essentialist position in defence of The Order. And claim a righteousness to the way in which you see things and anything outside of this visual framework is simply not Rastafari levity. This further constructs rigid and antiquated binaries colonizer/colonised Islam/Rastafari, slave/slavemaster, Black/White, yet the reality of human behaviour is such that these binaries are more complex than this and can be re-constructed, destructed and multiplied at any given time and place. You can’t put Rasta in a box Sister and by carving out your spaces of ‘Right and Might’ this is exactly what you are doing. No doubt what you say of I n I salvation is true and I overs, but to continue to chant no compromise and be suspicious of everything expresses a rigid understanding of the world. Has Rasta not found likenesses in African-based faiths such theology of Kemet? And what about ancient India and Buddha? Or even for I who finds connections between Rastafari and I traditional roots, empowered by Rastafari of course? Please understand I am not saying Rasta bows Buddha ok, all I am saying is a purist, essentialist position comes under fire when you claim this n that as though it were the only way of being Rasta.

Now that I’ve given that little pre-amble I want to go into some of the things you said of I position. Your cynical comments don’t amuse I and subversive pieces of advice really don’t charm me either, just come out and say what you will. You’ve already called I sell-out, why dress the rest of your words up with cynicism and witty, advice. I stand for Rastafari first and above all and would never betray I King and Father for anyone and anything. I’m not some one-love Rasta walking around willing to just let I principles go just because its a "reasonable" perspective on something. Sister I think talk like that really just misses the point of what this livity is for I. It’s a multiplicity of things but even in all the many things it is there is one Rastafari, one JAH and one order – yes Sister everyone has their story in Rasta and this is mine. Shall I go on to list all my influences so you can mark each one of them down and call I a sell-out over and over? Rasta is not the privilege of one school of thought and its not policed by essentialist positions. Honestly what do you think I am? Rasta opened up I mind and inspired I to seek knowledge and overstanding the many forms of faith in this life and the histories of the world’s different peoples. And for I just because I keep an open mind I’m a sell-out. Lol! Look at the The Quran on the first page and see the seven names of Allah, open the Ethiopian Book of the Dead and see Mary and Yesus’s prayers and then read Psalm 68 and each time count the seven names by which the Almighty is called and you will see how I make my connections. If confronted by an Islamic fundamentalist or a Muslim who endorses slavery I obviously won’t stand for that. Just because I find parallels its doesn’t mean I’m ignorant of its slave history in Africa, I’m all too aware of it and the practices that continue to this day in Mali, Zanzibar and small islands of Kenya. If you read my ras-ponse to Ark I you will see the specific period I was referring to. Now if you consider I weak or whatever Sister that’s your perspective and if that's how you choose to see I, fine. on the contrary, I find Iself standing stronger in JAH name having learnt the discipline of long-term fasting and meditation from a faith whose history in Africa is a sensitive one. I’m not uttering Al-Fatiha when the Imam sounds the call to prayers, because I am not a Muslim Rasta, but one of I closest sisters was and that’s how I learnt the rituals of prayer but I pray to Sellasie I. I didn’t rise in the strict Bobo order as some did where there are certain rituals ones must follow, that I’ve only learnt abt in the last year and a half and even though I’m not Bobo, I’ve something to learn from that. Or would I now be a Binghi daughter selling out… Rasta is not about carving out territories, but breaking down those borders and penetrating from underground (Deleuze’s rhizome works nicely here) and for I having risen with Rastas and those making the transition from Islam I learnt something from them and it proved that Rastafari is in every element of life no matter what its called JAH-way is the truth. Rasta is a way of life and as life continues to chart different paths and take us to different places, different meditations but the one constant and true thing is King Selassie I, the Conquering Lion who prevails over all forms of life.

JAH Rastafari, HAIL Him High
Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/28/2007 7:19:25 AM

Blessed Love

I dont mean to come in between the ithem, but i pray that both the i will temper their words and not forget the i them still sistren.

Anyway, i just wanted to ask

i know that everyone likes to say, oh, why look at the differences when we can find common ground in our similarities, (which is babylon preperation for one religion new world order, if you check it) but umm

Sis Ten, the I said "the one constant and true thing is King Selassie I, the Conquering Lion who prevails over all forms of life"

So if one comes and denies this one truth, if one denies that Christ is in Flesh, if one denies the rightful position of HIM as rightful ruler of the earth, then what do similarities matter anymore ??

If so many "religions" are coming forth from the one true incient african creation faith, it is no wonder that we would find so many similarities. But the more important question is, why is that the differences are almost always concerning the one thing which should have been the one constant thing ?

im just saying....

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/28/2007 8:05:38 AM

I appreciloved the direct rasponse. I think an overall assessment of our respective discursive styles shows that in terms of directness, the I is only just catching up. You call it witty advice in your own manner of sarcasm... so pot calling kettle black slightly.

But in relation to the topic, I think I overs your approach. Referencing a cultural theorist to enhance the credibility of your understanding of the basis and 'development' of the irits of RasTafari livity... seems bigtime like a contradiction in terms. Which I guess pinpoints my perception of the inconsistency in your character... it often comes across as being a CONtradiction in terms. When I referred to your method of using Babylon measuring stick, this is what I was referring to. You grow in rasta and then draw for your babylon measuring stick to see how far it remains acceptable within the lines of modern discourse of the state and development of society. You want to make sure you can still check for your gay bredrins, and all manner of loose articles, while not looking like a hypocrite. That is fair enough. No one wants to look like a hypocrite.

Your irits display an embrace for the heavens RasTafari ights offers the individual. However, you are not willing to engage in an exchange with the Irits. Which is essential to the unlearning. If the I accepts the irits of redemption, then you should know of your own imperfection and identify the ways human divinity has been corrupted. Surrender (not submission) to the Irits, particularly at this intellectual stage of the trod is the reason WHY InI have the Nazarine vow, and the order to adher to. It is the reason why InI wear locs. It is admitting that we are lead astray, giving yourself to the ilaments for their perfect guidance, that we in our dis-ease have lost sight of... the only certain way at this moment (when only 13 per cent of our mental capabilities are in use) is the divine way - the way of the ants. The R way. I didn't make it up. It is the way of life, way of creation. A cultural studies student had nothing to do with that inception.

My overstanding of life and creation is that Man & Womban were made perfect in creation and even given divine dominion over the creation. We have degenerated from that position, obviously. So... cultural studies is, for me, a way to assess that denigration in terms of understanding the building blocks, and the builders of society. You have obviously swallowed what they told you in lectures, which is that man was made savage and backward, but with time; intellect and developments in cultural understanding has meant an improvement. So, further to that, you are coming with reconstructing societal understandings according to yet ANOTHER social theorist as a bid to improve mentalities... antiquated mentalities (lest we forget that antiquity apparently means outdated and not useful).

I am wary of people with your mentality... because it makes InI who found it valuable to gain higher education seem like we know something that those who never went to Uni don't know. Which is obviously a nonsense. My approach was to find academic representation FOR the antiquated, instinctive, ESSENTIALIST, humanist understanding of the dynamics of societal ORIGINS. What you are saying is very elitist, and is only a translation and extension of Babylon attitude status quo. It is saying that if people respond to the characteristics of this shitstem based on their intrinsic overstanding of wrong and right... they are being 'backward'. And what they need to do is understand what you are saying about deconstructions and all that madness, to formulate a new societal structure that supports the essentialist, fundamental values of the Nazirine, while coping with the intricacies of modern identity (a by product of Babylon dis-ease)?

Doesn't make any sense at all. I don't think you have a thorough overstanding of the prophecies of RasTafari... the significance of the rise in this Iwah. I think you remain uncertain of the weight of the mystic involved in this trod, hence your remaining reliance on the material world to justify the meditations of the ilaments... for fear of looking a bit out there and illogical.

I overs all of that. I think most of InI have been through that. Not to say, you haven't identified a superficial version of that earlier in your long trod... but have you really grappled with the notion that InI are in this world, but not of it. Have you ever realised the weight of the mystic blessing? I doubt it, otherwise you would rely solely on the mystic for your overstanding of the world, knowing that all can fade away but that one true reality... and so only seek information that eloquates and clarifies these eternal truths in material form... that the truths may be better communicated. For you though, you still think the truths are fluid... was that why you brought up Stuart Hall the other time... who said identity is fluid?

Did he say that identity remains a perspective, fluid or not. Identity does NOT change who you are. It can only change who you believe yourself to be.

Remain with the truths, my Sistah. Anything else will draw you away. That is another true thing.

You asked me to be more direct.

Selassie I first (antiquated and royal)

P.s. did you all know that during his political career, His Majesty's international peers accused him of being antiquated in his approach to the rulership of his empire (just cos he didn't put roads up and down, telegraph poles every damn where... and all those other marks of "modernity"). He was accused of being a "feudal despot".

Antiquated everytime. Anciency InI deal with. No you-never-see-ty couldn't hold me and tell me what they wanted I to beLIEve. I use their information for MY ends, they can't use mine for theirs.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/28/2007 9:14:25 AM

p.s. I spent 3 of my adolescent years living in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait... so er... in terms of having a developed overstanding of Islamic faith and a total appreciation (and even admiration) for traditions of Islamic mysticism... then I'm good on that.

If people were to read Empress Ten's statement there would be the total misunderstanding that I'm questioning the mysteries of faith in world religions, and saying that there is no knowledge anywhere except within the realms of this trod. Not so. But unlike the Empress, I see the presence of the Almighty I in the irits of so many faiths... but I see corruption in an individual and groups of individuals as total.

I was criticising the empress position on Islam due to her extension into considering which was the most reasonable form of enslavement.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/28/2007 10:14:38 AM

Greetings
I've not much time at present but I shall return to give a fuller ras-ponse to you Empress Yaa. Now let's get it clear that slavery of Africans in the Islamic system is by no means less brutal or evil than that of the Europeans. No system is better than the other what I did was to trace its beginnings of co-existence with Africans before 12th Century then show how slavery began to mainfest through the religion and how the system of coloring downpressed so many African peoples. Comparing (and I use this word with great hesitation and hope it will not be misinterpreted yet again) it to European slavery and colonialism was in terms of the extent to which Isalmic slavery affected parts of Africa whereas the Europeans affected the whole of Africa and they raped, brutalised and killed millions. For those in North and East Africa they were doubly downpressed by the Islamic and European both of whom raped, beat and killed I n I in North and East Africa. In some cases this might have been more terrible than those under European slavery and I acknowledge that. The point I was making was a quantitative one, how many were affected but I was in no means saying it was 'reasonable' for Muslims to enslave Black Africans.
I hope the I's understand me.

And Sister Yaa I'm not taking up an elitist position by taking up a cultural theory perspective. Elitism implies class, superiority and exclusion of people and that's not where I'm coming from. I know the value education has but I also know its pitfalls and shortcomings because it can disconnect people from the environments in which they live. I took up that position because it was what came to mind of how I might explain I position - its symptomatic of that I spend the bulk of my time reading theory and writing. But I've no wish to use Babylon as I measuring stick, no I JAH is I ruler and measure, I apply HIM to what I read and reason things out that way. No contradictions here, I don't know how to explain Iself without being misread as treading the waters of Babylon. The way in which you speak of keeping your roots to yourself and their antiquity as you say (yes nice one Empress, acknowledged.) I can relate to that and perhaps its best to say out perspectives run like parallel lines that will not meet on some things but will connect on others.
More later.
JAH BLESS

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/28/2007 10:50:52 AM

True Iyah.

Give thanks for the reasoning. Genuinely appreciloved.

Give thanks for the oneness, your patience is always commendable, no doubt.

Blessings & three kiss!

RasTafari.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I