Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=175&start_row=11

Islam and Rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nesta sista Sent: 1/27/2004 3:12:54 AM

Jah know this is a very touchy subject. The followers of the BayeFall Theology, the Mourides, of Senegal best blend Rasta and
Islam together. Read up on that if you will.
I have been praying Islamically for 11 years and yet InI is a Rasta!
It is a very direct way of communication for InI - even my heartrate slows down when performing salah(prayers).

And I am a Rasta!

Check it out!

Nesta sista

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/27/2004 6:32:29 AM

4 And it was so, that when Solomon had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the LORD, he arose from before the altar of the LORD, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven.
55 And he stood, and blessed all the congregation of Israel with a loud voice, saying,
56 Blessed be the LORD, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.
57 The LORD our God be with us, as he was with our fathers: let him not leave us, nor forsake us:
58 That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers.
59 And let these my words, wherewith I have made supplication before the LORD, be nigh unto the LORD our God day and night, that he maintain the cause of his servant, and the cause of his people Israel at all times, as the matter shall require:
60 That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.
61 Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
62 And the king, and all Israel with him, offered sacrifice before the LORD.
63 And Solomon offered a sacrifice of peace offerings, which he offered unto the LORD, two and twenty thousand oxen, and an hundred and twenty thousand sheep. So the king and all the children of Israel dedicated the house of the LORD.
64 The same day did the king hallow the middle of the court that was before the house of the LORD: for there he offered burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and the fat of the peace offerings: because the brasen altar that was before the LORD was too little to receive the burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and the fat of the peace offerings.
65 And at that time Solomon held a feast, and all Israel with him, a great congregation, from the entering in of Hamath unto the river of Egypt, before the LORD our God, seven days and seven days, even fourteen days.
66 On the eighth day he sent the people away: and they blessed the king, and went unto their tents joyful and glad of heart for all the goodness that the LORD had done for David his servant, and for Israel his people.

praying is meditaion

Messenger: peter mloyi Sent: 1/27/2004 9:58:15 AM

Man Tastafari is nuh religion, it is a mivement forwarded by africans to retain there lost supremacy and blesses from Jah Himself.
Selasie did never sit together with muslims who where conductors of slave trade deep in africa for Christians. Go to history and see how selasie overthrow his cousin? bacause him side with muslims. I don't remember well the story of bilal whom was christian ethiopian how he teach muhamad religion.
Iman as an african in africa i know how we suffer in the name of islam, eg. sudan, though they pretend to be good to us. I don't see the difference between them and christians. All religions are the same with all of there goodness.
Let's learn wide and make Rastafari reasonable and approachable.
Jah guides us all.
Rastafari.
Mloyi.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/27/2004 10:38:50 AM

if one person is from hear,,and he do not have god in mind... it dose not mean evryone hear is the same...

islam ,christion, black and whites all sold slaves..
IN ethiopia they had slave..
RAS TAFARI changed all that...
i do not call my self by a name.
i call my self by what i am...
So that all the people hear, not just people that call them self RASTA.ALL JAH childern a family.. IT IS POLITICES that stop the people from comeing to gether,those how us religion..THIS a one way wake for me and when i fall JAH HOLD ME TIGHT.
sonone22

Messenger: Qe~ne Sent: 1/27/2004 10:39:11 AM

Even so empress Menen is a direct descendent of Prophet mohammed and once there was a group of muslims who were being chased by other christians (perhaps roman catholics) and his majesty offered them asylum. Jah loves all but hateth iniquity

Messenger: Nesta sista Sent: 1/28/2004 12:52:15 PM

Jah know the secret utterances of all. No one the right to judge another man/woman style of worship!
InI have nothing to do wit the herb- never did- honor Selassie who kept His temple pure. So, my way of expressing InI Itations just happens to be Islamic stylee but GodJahAllah is one and de same!
InI justa keep to myself and no group wit any groupies and socalled fanatics. Me keep rare portraits of Jah on InI wall an picture of Jah Nesta everywhere but when InI pray, me forget everthing except de Almighty.

Seen!

Nesta sista

Messenger: MICHAEL Sent: 1/28/2004 4:36:19 PM

now dis is da islam forum ?.......RASTAFARI FOREVER

Messenger: Ras John Sent: 1/28/2004 4:36:33 PM

Seen, sistren! That's really beautiful... keep up the I-ndividual livity! Rastafari!!

Blessed... its really great to hear what all of you have to say on the topic... Bless up- Haile Selassie!!

One love

Ras John

Messenger: Erik Parker Sent: 9/25/2007 6:09:44 PM

you can not be rasta and muslim at the same time beacause muslims have different traditions beleifs and rituals from rastafarians. Rastafari is nothing like islam to me I don't care for muslims I think islam is the religion that helped inslave africans. no muslim can be a rasta. islam is for arabian people rasta man say Jah rastafari! not allah rastafari.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/25/2007 7:17:43 PM

Praises
It never fails that I'm stunned when someone burns fire on another faith yet Rasta has nothing to do with legitimising itself over other faiths. There are more similarities in Rasta and Islam than you would think Erik Parker. I never practiced as a Muslim but I learnt abt it in my youth and when I first came into Rastafari so for I, I beg to differ for so many personal and factual reasons.
His Majesty's mother was Muslim and we have to consider what role Islam played in Ethiopia at that time as well as from a historic perspective for the whole of Africa. His Majesty in recognition of Islam said it can no longer be seen as a "minority religion" in Ethiopia because for historic reasons, many people followed it. Islam has linkages to Ethiopia that date back to 615 when Prophet Mohammed's wife sought refuge in Aksum, Ethiopia because they were escaping persecution from the Kuraysh. Negus Armar who was ruler of Ethiopia protected Mohammed's wife and her cousin and in gratitude Prophet Mohammed said Ethiopia should be respected and protected by his followers. Empress Menen's mother Sehin, daughter of Negus Mikael (Muhammad Ali) of Wollo was descendent of the Mohammed line and throughout Ethiopia's history there have been many Emperors who were Muslim.
While it is true that slavery and Islam have a history in North and East Africa I don't think it can be compared to the kind of slavery and colonialism the Europeans did, it damaged millions and continues to affect millions to this day. Even having said this I do know Muslim traders were responsible for the downpression of African peoples because of coloring, but the history of Islam and Africa goes way back before these recent centuries of slavery and colonialism. There were Muslim sultans in Ethiopia and other parts of Africa, but scholars generally agree that they were not as brutal as the European invaders neither did they force their subjects to become Muslim as is the case with European slavemasters and colonialists.
The connection between Islam and Rasta is something that can't just be dimissed because one prays Allah and another JAH, there's more to it. The many names by which Allah is called as The Merciful, Wonderful are those not the same principles by which we revere His Majesty? The prayers in Islam have a deep meditation and learning to pray in this manner has given I a closer, spiritual connection to Sellasie. The fasting rituals are something I've gained from Islam and give I that discipline of the body and mind. The concept of jihad is the overstanding of spiritual struggle, as Rasta I over this as my struggle in this world, things come up against I are spirtiual battles I must win. Although Rasta and Islam might not agree on issues such as locks and ganja there are some sects of Islam that embrace these principles such as the Baay Fall of Senegal (but they drink alcohol). And the connections between Rastas in the Diaspora and the Black Islam movement are so many centred on the revolutionary freedom of Black people.
You can't just dismiss the value of another religion, before knowing its origins, and its often you hear Rasta burn fire on Islam and I don't knw if there are other reasons, but I nah feel that at all.
Blessed Love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I