Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1562&start_row=1

**Why are non Jamaicans speaking patio's?**

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 7/21/2006 2:33:17 PM

**Why are non Jamaicans speaking patio's?**

---------------------------------------------------------------------

just Iman opinion here:

Human intelligence is symbolistic in nature. Very few of us ever find even a brief moment of inner silence; so what is it that disallows internal quietness? The ‘noise’ that rarely ceases is language, a system of symbols so entwined in human consciousness that the relationship between consciousness and language constitutes a mystery in itself. In fact, to contemplate anything that is not currently physically stimulating the senses is to employ symbolism.

Spoken language is sound symbolizing ideas and written language is glyphs, or drawn figures, representing the sounds of speech. Symbols can be simple and universal, like the solar disc, or very sophisticated and specific, like a royal insignia. The point, the line and the circle are the basic building blocks from which various alphabets are constructed and represent pre-linguistic or archetypal ideas in themselves. In its most refined form, symbolism is employed where elaborate systems of symbols are used to direct the individual inward to the realization of the Unity of All.

It is well known that in the biblical tradition Jah created the heaven and the earth by use of language, “Jah said, ‘Let there be light” (Gen. 1:3) and that the messiah, called Jesus Christ, was the ‘logos’ or Word of Jah, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jah and the Word was Jah” (John 1:1). This connotes the mystery of the relationship between language and consciousness and indicates that the individual’s highest faculty is capable of creating its own world through the willful and imaginative use of symbolic language. Within Rastafari this Mystery is referred to by the formula “Word, Sound, Power”.

The Rastafari, originating in Anglophonic Jamaica, have always sought to stretch the limits of language because it is widely recognized that ‘The Queen’s English’ has imbedded in it a repressive vibration. For example, thewords“understand”,"wisdom” and “dedication” can be perceived to contain the negative vibrations of the words “under”, “dumb” and “dead” within them. These negative vibrations serve to minimize or cancel out the power of the concept being expressed. The Rasta response to the negative influences within the Word Sound Power of the English language is to create a new form of linguistic expression, (based on Jamaican patois) called Iyaric or Rasta speak, where the words mentioned above are transformed into “overstand”, “wisemind” and “livication”.

The musicality, the poetry, rhyme, innovation, rhythm and beauty of Iyaric within its native Jamaican patois is not easily reproduced. However, Iyaric is the language of the Rastafari and it is the responsibility of every Rasta to overstand its function and form and to use it inasmuch as their talent and natural disposition allow. Bible reading is a common practice among Rastas and it is customary to replace “the LORD” with “JAH” and to replace “me” and “us” with “InI” when reading or citing scripture.

This use of language not only provides cohesion within Rastafari and provides an effective means of communicating the Mysteries; it also actually begins the process of development within the individual psyche by challenging one’s fundamental perception of individuality. CHANGING LANGUAGE CHANGES THE WAY WE THINK AND CHANGING THE WAY WE THINK CHANGES WHO WE ARE.

One Blessed Love

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 7/21/2006 4:34:07 PM

Wise words Dread Lion.
Though Iman see a difference between Rastafari Word, Sound and Power and Jamaican patois, although the majority of those who use Iyaric use it within a Jamaican context.
I was at a reasoning held by Vaughan Benjamin in my home town of Seattle, and one of the Rases that I knew was not Jamaican started speaking with a faked Jamaican accent. I do not see this sort of thing as necessary, and it only misrepresents one's own upbringing and culture.
Although I am still learning, I'm finding that Iyaric can be used within the context of any dialect of the English laguage quite easily. I see using Iyaric with one's own native accent as beneficial because it shows InI the influnce Iyaric has on an international level.

Bless

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 7/21/2006 5:30:36 PM

Yes I,

Iman agree 100%; faking an accent is really annoying and unnecessary, tho harmless. It happens alot with the younger rasses I think, they seem to get hooked on it.

Still, the occasional word or phrase is often the only way to convey a sense of shared overstanding, seen Iah?

LOVE AND ONLY LOVE IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HIGH JAH

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 7/21/2006 9:48:45 PM

I was at a reasoning held by Vaughan Benjamin

OSIRUS, THE I WENT TO THIS? THATS GREAT BREDREN. HE CAME DOWN TO PORTLAND BUT I MISSED HIM. YOU SHOULD REASON ABOUT BREDREN PLEASE IF YOU WILL.

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 7/21/2006 10:48:54 PM

I was very impressed by Vaughan's eloquent and articulate way of speaking. The I had a quiet intensity about him, and was as cool and collected as I've ever seen somebody.
He talked much about the negative connotations in the Queen's English and their hidden agenda's. He gave examples of thier forced backwardness. For instance LIVE, LOVE and LIFE all spelled backward sound out Evil (EVIL=EVOL=EFIL). He had a bunch of other examples too but those are the ones that come to mind.
The reasoning part of it was mainly people asking Vaughan what he thought about this and that, although Vaughan celearly invited any of the I's to disagree or offer alternate perspectives. A couple of the white Rases asked him what he thought about the EWF refusing to accept white rastas. His answers were constructive. He said he only followed His Majesty and that all those who truly followed HIM in their heart would be recieved.
He did, However draw a distinction and said that non-blacks had to be respectful of the fact that black people are very sensitive and distrustful of white rastas trying to come into the center of the movement and that more humbleness would be needed to gain black respect.
I think a reasoning in a smaller group setting would have worked better, because people were passing around a microphone to be heard sort of inhibiting communication. But an enlightening night nonetheless.

Bless up

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 7/22/2006 1:41:48 AM

Man, give thanks for that bredren. I wish I had made it.

Messenger: RAS B Sent: 7/26/2006 7:14:36 AM

HOLI MOSIS I

WHY ARE NON HINGLISH SPEAKIN HINGLISH ?**

FYA
jAH ARISE AN DI WICKET MOS SCATTA

Messenger: JAH Coyote Sent: 7/30/2006 3:49:23 PM

It is important for Rastafarians to speak and write proper since proper english is more universal than colloquial dialects. A non-West Indian Rastafarian speaking patois english strikes me automatically as fashion Rasta, but I understand still that this is not always an appropriate judgement.
Perhaps some non-West Indian Rastafarians use patois as a holy language, as it tends to be the language of most Rastafarians (like how Roman Catholics used to speak only Latin in Church and how Islam uses Traditional Arabic). However, to me this seems to make Rastafari more like religion, which I take no part in. At the same time I see it as beneficial for non-West Indian dreads to be able to understand Patois in order to understand and be able to converse with West Indians, it is not necessary to speak it in order to differentiate oneself as a Rastafarian from other non-West Indians.
To tell the truth I find it pretty funny when non-West Indian people try to speak patois as if it is how they normally speak. It would be the same if a British person was speaking to me in a southern American accent to try and relate to me. Its pretty rediculous and makes it hard for me to take the person as seriously as I otherwise would if the person was speaking naturally.

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 7/30/2006 7:31:37 PM

Hail Rastafari!

Bredren Dreadnut, Vaughn Benjamin reasoned on similar topics here:

http://www.vireggae.com/midnite.htm#iviews

click on the lower right hand "Monterey Bay Reggae Fest" Vaughn Benjamin Press Conference box (The logo). It's over an hour long on RealPlayer. *To the right of the Biography before the Album tune listings.

Ises!

Messenger: kanmike Sent: 10/11/2006 11:18:37 AM

maybe because it might sound funny to hear a heavy dread speak like he was a scotsman.

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I