Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1456&start_row=1

Dead Sea Scrolls

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: chinyre Sent: 5/5/2006 1:30:46 PM

Peace and blessings,

i was reading the Introduction to the Dead Sea Scrolls by Geza Vermes
and i was struck by this passage in the book:

IN some other Scrolls, by contrast, the themse of Messianism is more prominent. Complex and sui generis, it envisages sometimes one Messianic figure, royal, Davidic, triumphant(4Q285,4Q161, and the Damascus Document speaking of the messiah-in the singular, cf 4Q266- Of Aaron and Israel), again and again two, and once possible even three messiahs(!). The lay King-Messiah, otherwise known as THE BRANCH OF DAVID, THE "MESSIAH OF ISRAEL", THE PRINCE OF ALL THE CONGREGATION, AND THE SCEPTER, WAS TO USHER IN, ACCORDING TO THE SECT'S BOOK OF BLESSINGS, THE 'KINGDOM OF HIS PEOPLE', AND 'BRING DEATH TO THE UNGODLY' AND DEFEAT OF THE NATIONS. the recently and groundlessly advanced theory that the "prince of the congregation", "branceh of david", is a suffering and executed messiah is contradicted both by the immediate context and broader exegical framework of Isiah 10,34. As befits a priestly sect however, the Priest-Messiah comes first in the oder of precedence; he is also called the MEssiah of Aaron.

(ive always believed through Christian teachings that there will only be one Messiah? 2 or even 3 ??? what do you guys think about it. how do these messiah's relate to each other. who is more important. If Selassie is the "king-Messiah" then how does Yashua-Selassie relate to each other if Selassie calls Yashua Lord and Savior?

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 5/8/2006 10:46:22 AM

PEACE BE WITH InI

Iman found "Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium" by Bart D. Ehrman to give one of the best, clearest explanations of the original ancient Jewish idea of messiah (meaning "annointed one").

PRINCES AND PRINCESSES MUST TROD OUT OF EGYPT

Messenger: chinyre Sent: 5/9/2006 12:10:42 AM

Peace and blessings,

can you explain idea of the Jewish messiah from what youve gathered from the book? i would love to know.
anybody want to reason
email is chinyre83@yahoo.com

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 5/9/2006 7:40:29 PM

Yes I

As I overstand it:
the word messiah means anointed one and therefore meant ANY king ( as all Hebrew kings were anointed). At Jesus’ time, Israel was ruled and occupied by the Roman Empire and the Jews naturally looked forward to a time of autonomy, where a king that they themselves anoint in the name of God rules them.

Looking back into ancient Hebrew texts (the Old Testament, esp. the Torah), some Jews believed that they discerned prophecy of a coming saviour, or messiah. There really is no such prophecy clearly put forth in the Old Testament, rather, certain verses were taken out of context and emphasized as constituting this prophecy. (In much the same way InI find scriptures to “prove” faith in Selassie I).

These first century Jews found two (3?) main motifs regarding the coming messiah. There were the Sacrificial Lamb, the redeemer, and the Conquering Lion, the righteous ruler. (InI sight Jesus and Haile Selassie in these traditions)

Iman hope this is helpful

ONE LOVE

Messenger: chinyre Sent: 5/20/2006 2:59:20 PM

Peace and blessings,

christ means "the annointed one" as you aptly state. some rastas correct me if im wrong believe that there were actually numerous christ-men (Selassie being the 72nd) including Enoch, Melchezidek, etc.
and as a segway....if Selassie is the 72nd christ-man..do rastas believe in some kind of reincarnation?

im reading "the new testament" by bart erhman right now since you recommended him. ive only read a few chapters but he is pretty concise. thanks for the heads up :) and yes ive read Mysteries of the Nyabinghi and enjoyed it immensely

bless
chinyre

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 5/20/2006 5:20:28 PM

I think christ is Greek for messiah.

I don't know about "christ-men", but I have heard of a tradition of a "pearl", symbolising a special relationship with the divine, that is said to pass from generation to generation and that it was held by Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Moses, David, Solomon, etc. etc.

Consider trying Lost Christianities by Ehrman.

InI Give Thanks for the Positivity.

ONE BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: chinyre Sent: 5/23/2006 12:58:00 PM

Bless,

the Scofield Bible calls these men "types of Christ". i would disagree and say that these men ARE Christs. I mean Enoch ascended to the 7 heavens and lived to tell about it. Elijah was taken up to Jah without having to die SEen??? i sight RAStafari more everyday.

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 5/23/2006 1:50:37 PM

ONE IN THREE AND THREE IN ONE!

Selah

Messenger: chinyre Sent: 5/28/2006 2:36:12 PM

I sight the Trinity as God(Mind), Son(physical frame), and Spirit

For the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit with good fellowship and right good will and cordial agreement together made the Heavenly ZION to be the place of habitation of their Glory. And then the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit said, "Let Us make man in Our similitude and likeness,"1 and with ready agreement and good will They were all of this opinion. And the Son said, "I will put on the body of ADAM," and the Holy Spirit said, "I will dwell in the heart[s] of the Prophets and the Righteous," and this common agreement and covenant was [fulfilled] in ZION, the City of their Glory. And DAVID said, "Remember Thine agreement which Thou didst make of old for salvation, the rod of Thine inheritance, in Mount ZION wherein Thou dost dwell."1

Messenger: I Selahssie i son Sent: 5/29/2006 10:43:14 AM

Jes,us christ rastafari is the living god.The word (Jes,us)means (Massiah)the angel Gabriel reveal it to us.Out of the stem of (Jes,se)king David father(isaiah 11).Selahssie i come out the same stem and he is the conquering lion.If u look at the african Jes,us and the europeans Gjee,zus,u will see one fake and one real.When u see Selahssie i now,u see who was,is,and is to come,u see the true christ in flesh.It is written that the last shall be first and the first shall be last.If u read from Genesis straight down to Revelation,u will realise that Jes,us is Selassie i and Selahssie i is Jes,us,Behold he said "i and my father is one".Jes,us christ haile I Selahssie I no come back as no lamb to be slaughter,he come back as the ruler,the lion of the tribe judah.It is also written that the lord will come out of the tribe judah,in judah jah is known.the book of Revelation discribes the son of man so no time for doubting,he who doubt is like the sea toss by the wind. one love,one birth!

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I