Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1374&start_row=1

The Spiritual Kinsmen Speech in its Entirety

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/7/2006 2:32:30 PM

Many misquote this speech by HIM Haile Selassie I. In fact, the famous words that are attributed to HIM regarding spiritual kinsmen is actually the words of Radhankrishnan, as quoted by HIM during HIM's speech. Also, they are wise words to take council in for those who are always fiyah burning the West, or Christianity, or other Livities. Check it:

Radhankrishnan Receives Degree From H.S.I.U.

On the occasion of Your Excellency’s visit to Our country it gives Us special pleasure to receive you at this institution itself dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and truth. It is altogether fitting that Your Excellency should be the focus of this occasion, for Your Excellency has yourself since your youth been dedicated to that cause. Your marked achievement to the august rank Professor at the youthful age of twenty-eight, your consistent endeavor to pursue knowledge and the numerous books that have flowed from your pen, to this bear witness.

Today more than ever before man realizes the bond of unity that exists within the race; he is endeavoring to employ the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of the ages. He is employing modern science and technology; he is reaping the benefits, however limited, of political and economic unity; and to that extent, he is transcending the age-old barriers that have divided the race so long and is endeavoring to reflect on the welfare not only of himself and his immediate neighbor, but also on the welfare of all the human race. This endeavor is in harmony with the spirit of the mystics of ages gone by “…in the mystic traditions of the different religions we have a remarkable unity of spirit. Whatever religions they may profess they are spiritual kinsmen. While the different religions in their historic forms bind us to limited groups and militate against the development of loyalty to the world community, the mystics have always stood for the fellowship of humanity,” so Your Excellency has taught us. And in effort to carry out this teaching to pursue truth- to promote those bonds common to the human race- Your Excellency has dedicated your whole life. To free the human race from superstition and fear that originate from ignorance; to enable him to transcend the apparent obstacles of race and religion; and to help him recognize the blood-ties of the whole human race, Your Excellency has labored. To this generation, so tormented between modern knowledge and ancient faith, your scrupulous studies have pointed the way by which man may be saved from traditional superstition and modern skepticism.

Were the thoughts of Plato and Socrates, the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism not harmonized with Hindu philosophy; were Yoga and its various stages not exposed to Western thought; had Western religion and philosophy not been exposed to the philosophy and religion of the East through Your Excellency’s persistent endeavor, how much the poorer would human thought have been!

In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership of the human race a common bond. Your Excellency’s constant endeavor to challenge this generation to transcend its differences, to recognize its common bond and to work towards a common goal has doubtless made this age pregnant with greatness. It is, therefore, in recognition of these labors that We, with unequalled pleasure, bestow upon Your Excellency the degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa.

-His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, Oct. 13, 1965

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/7/2006 2:40:05 PM

Yes I,

I know of some people who thought that. I have had that speech on this website for a long time. The link is:

Radhakrishan Receives Degree From H.S.I.U.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/7/2006 2:48:32 PM

Give Thanx Ras Ark I

+++

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 3/7/2006 6:16:37 PM

Rastaheart, I want to big up the I for this. Too many bredren, even I self have been guilty of misquoting this speech.

Give thanks for the cutting and clearing.

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 3/8/2006 12:33:25 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------
“…in the mystic traditions of the different religions we have a remarkable unity of spirit. Whatever religions they may profess they are spiritual kinsmen. While the different religions in their historic forms bind us to limited groups and militate against the development of loyalty to the world community, the mystics have always stood for the fellowship of humanity,” so Your Excellency has taught us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Is not Radhankrishnan quoting HIM?

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/8/2006 1:17:55 PM

No. HIM is quoting Radhankrishnan, who was the prime minister of India, thus calling him "Your Excellency." Radhankrishnan is recieving the degree from Haile Selassie University and HIM is giving the speech and quoting wise words from another great thinker. Radhankrishnan did a lot of work in comparative religion scholarship, writing different books and essays regarding the mystical side of religion, as well as organized religion. I do not feel that HIM thought of himself as any better or higher than other great thinkers and leaders, and gave respect when respect was due, imo.

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 3/8/2006 1:40:52 PM

SEEN

I give thanks for this I-sight.

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I