Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1330&start_row=11

Marriage?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 2/14/2006 12:57:51 PM

ONE BLESSED LOVE

Though I can't remember where, I have read (and confirmed) that at HIM's time in Ehiopian society there were three kinds of marriage. If I remember correctly, there was first a kind of marriage that was akin to living together is in the West. Then there was a kind that was more commited, but could be dissolved in divorce. And then there was sacramental marriage, with a church wedding, which included sacred and irrevocable vows. I'm not sure if these customs still exist.

It seems to Iman that this is exactly as it is now here in the West, even though we pretend otherwise. There is "living together" which entails a minimal commitment, there is common marriage (often disfunctional and dissloved in divorce) and then there are the relatively few couples who truly embrace the full meaning of the sacrament.

Clearly their Majesties were an inspirational example of the highest meaning of marriage. InI praise InI Own Ivine Majesties and give thanks for their teaching InI by example the Ites of marriage.

Messenger: ras shem tafari Sent: 2/14/2006 3:46:13 PM

Dread Lion,
greetings in H.I.M. name.

The three types of marriage in traditional Ethiopia are "damoz," "kal kidan," and "bekwerban"; each naming the types you described in order.
There are quite a few books on this subject. However, I first read about this sort of thing in a book from the 1960s.

guidance & protection
ras shem tafari.

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 2/15/2006 11:31:43 AM

WORD SOUND POWER

repeated..

give thanks and isies empress nzingha....

"I have always said that a man does not mature until he meets the woman he wants to love. Not the woman he does love, but the woman who makes him want to be a better man. Marriage is relative. Anyone who has meet their match knows that no ring and no ceremony is stronger than the bond between two people ment for each other. Marriage of souls does not need rules or laws because it is a natural process by which two people bond. Real love needs no guide lines that's why they call it unconditional, seen.

rasta far I
haIle I selassIe I

Messenger: aaronjudah Sent: 2/17/2006 11:22:09 AM

HIM was involved in another relationship, it fell into one of the categories listed, prior to Empress Menen. I believe that this was during the time of one of his governerships of a province. I don't have the exact title of his position or of the the operations he performed, but he had a prior relationship.

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 3/7/2006 1:51:07 AM

Please post some factual information about His Majesty's prior relationship.
Give thanks

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/7/2006 10:43:41 PM

This is the only thing I could find about Haile Selassie I previous relationship.

-------------------------
Emperor Haile Selassie, by a previous marriage to or relationship with Wayzaro Altayech, had a daughter, Princess Romana Worq.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras John C Sent: 3/8/2006 12:38:24 PM

I read that Selassie I was the third or fourth husband to Empress Menen still.

Messenger: empress stuffy Sent: 3/31/2006 5:10:31 PM

Greetings brethren and sistren in the name of H.I.M. I agree with everything the sister Nefertiti had to say in response to the marriage question. We as human beings are not perfect. We being born into this society and being brainwashed from birth by this society have a hard time getting rid of earthly feelings and needs. Being earthly makes us want a big wedding or a ring etc... But when you truly find love through Rastafari and find a righteous KingMan, you find that you truly don't need those things. The love you share in Rastafari and Rastalivity will show you that through Jah all things are possible. Even marriage without papers, rings, ceremonies etc... One Jah One Love One Livity. Empress Stuffy.

Messenger: Empress_menen4iver Sent: 4/1/2006 7:30:24 PM

Greetings, Give thanks for another blessed day. I and I is Rasta to be Engaged to a man that is not a Rasta and we have discused this issue. But still no conclusion I would like to get the I's views on my matter.

Blessed love

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/4/2006 12:39:55 AM

To I, when a Man and Woman join as One, they are married, with or without papers. But a Wedding is a great way to celebrate the Union with the families that are joining together, and also with friends.

It is a joyeous time and I don't see a problem with it. But it is not necessary, so if a person doesn't want a wedding ceremony, they shouldn't do it.

A year and a half ago, I had a wedding ceremony with I empress. Here are the vows that we spoke at our wedding.

Our Love will always grow throughout all time
We will always be One, Love without end
I ask God for Guidance to lead us in His Way
So that we Live as we should, bringing strength to each other
I will always think of you when making choices in Life
You are with me in all things. We walk side by side
I Live to raise you higher and I know you do the same
Let us rise in God’s Light, the Creator of all
By the Word of God, we are made One

Ark I