Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1202&start_row=11

Check this out!!

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 1/13/2006 4:11:09 PM

I've been showing this to everyone I know, Great discovery!

Give thanks Iyah

Messenger: Tefer_Anbesa Sent: 1/14/2006 4:11:15 AM

Has any one confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt the validity of the icon or are We just assuming it is authentic ? It could do more harm than good if Our discovery proved to be a hoax. Consider that before you go telling too many people Elijah. Igziabiher Ab Selassie I ::

Messenger: Chaka Sent: 1/14/2006 3:54:09 PM

what u bouth are talking about ? i just can see 2 posts and cant overstand NoThing

plz answer

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/14/2006 4:03:47 PM

Well, I've been doing some light research on this and I've found many Pantocrators, which I assume is just a name given to these similar icons or depictions of HIM. I haven't found any information yet pertaining to this pantocrator.

Peace

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 1/15/2006 7:29:19 AM

Blessed

Yes I, despite lack of time, Iman also started some research, at least on this Sinai Monastry. I found out, that the website which seems to be the official one, gives a different building date as your post, dreadnut. And I found out, that the monastry is at the foot of Mount Moses. Sorry, but that's all to what my time permitted me.

Selah

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 1/15/2006 8:02:38 AM

About the archeologist I found that:

"In 1933, during the patriarchy of Photius II (1929-1936), who was greatly interested in the letters and arts, George Soteriou the renowned Professor of Christian and Byzantine Archaeology in the University of Athens and Director of the Byzantine Museum of Athens, was invited to Constantinople. Acting on the Patriarch's instructions, Soteriou listed "one hundred and thirty-five old portable icons belonging to churches and monasteries in Constantinople, its environs and islands, many of which were very important because of their antiquity and artistic quality. Unfortunately, only a few of these icons were transported to the Patriarchate...". The mosaic icon of the Virgin Pammakaristos and that of St. John the Baptist were consolidated, cleaned and restored with some daring by the artist K. Vasmatzidis, as the Academy of Athens was officially informed by Soteriou in 1933."

At least we have now confirmed that the man existed, and also the date is very likely. When he did that in 1933 he had to investigate all that Icons the years bevor.
This is one step forward, but still I couldn't find that Icon on the net.

Selah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/15/2006 2:50:08 PM

I looked up pantocrator under the image search and found nothing. This would indicate that the Icon we are looking at may not be so popular. The Pantocrator that the St. Kathrines Chruch of Siani likes to show off is this one:

This painting is supposed to be one of the oldest, going back to the 5th centuray.

But about my source of the photo. There is a man named St. Paco who writes and illustrates a magazine called "Kung Fu pimp" and one of his side works was a little pamphlet called "In His Image", which was written based apart of the Icon that I showed.

To elaborate:

HAILE SELASSIE: IN HIS IMAGE by St. Paco
Category: Religion and Philosophy

"As much reggae as I listen to, a lot of the politics, history, and chronology has always been unclear to me. IN HIS IMAGE is very comprehensive and right on."
- Martin Wong, Giant Robot Magazine

IN HIS IMAGE: HAILE SELASSIE, BOB MARLEY AND THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST

Inspired by a stunning sixth-century icon of Christ housed by St. Catherine's Monastery (Sinai, Egypt) and its startling rememblance to former Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I, the man believed by millions to have been the re-embodiment of the Biblical Messiah, St. Paco offers and intriguing essay in book form--An ambitious text that delves into the history of both ancient and modern Ethiopia, examines the origin of Jamaica's Rastafai faith, explores the devotion of believers like the late reggae artist Bob Marley, and redefines the face of the Christian God.

Teaser: "The uncanny resemblance between the image of Christ painted on the weathered wooded slab and the former Ethiopian Emporer was haunting. Equally as haunting were the sweeping waves of recollection baptizing my memory; the legendary prophecy credited to Marcus Garvey, the scriptures likening Haile Selassie to the Messiah, and a convergence of events seventy years ago that converted several thousand Christianized Jamaicans into believers that the emperor of Ethiopia and the Messiah of the Bible were one and the same. And the longer I gazed at the strange and ancient portrait, the greater grew my cause to ponder whether the Rastas had been right."

St. Paco is a writer/artist from Chicago, presently residing in Tucson, Arizona where he is at work on his third book entitled Nigra Sum. He is also editor of the zine Kung Fu Grip!, and author of the chapbook Kung Fu Pimp: The Poems & Rhymes of St. Paco.

56 Pages / 8.5" x 11 digest format / $5.95

I want to get a copy of the book and see if more is discussed about our Icon.

St. Paco and "Kung fu grip" are both on myspace.com and you can mail him and buy a copy.

Peace

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/16/2006 2:43:23 AM

I wanted the I 's to know that I just ordered the magazine and that when I recieve it I will post more about the Icon. From what I was told by the bredren who is selling them is that there are several sources given to the Icon and several other icons of interests as well.

Give thanks

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I