Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=117&start_row=51

The Nazarite Vow

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: HolyZionJahBless Sent: 10/12/2011 5:52:10 AM

ce that narrows it
=)
good to know!

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/12/2011 9:20:47 AM

Early on in this Reasoning (in 2003), I made the following post, which was the explanation I received for staying away from grapes.

---------------------------------------------
Some RasTafarI observe the Nazarite vow, at least in part. The purpose of the Nazarite vow is to separate yourself unto God, to be holy.

When I first started my trod with RasTafarI, I didn't know why the grape was singled out as something I and I should stay away from. Even though I didn't know, I accepted it anyway and abstained from anything from the grape vine, and stayed away from all alcohol and flesh.

After a couple of years, I started asking Jah to show I why I shouldn't eat grapes. He finally gave I the answer one summer.

A few years ago, I was visiting my parents in a small town where I used to live, in Canada. I went to a park there that I have been to often in the past, and sat down and had some Ganja.

As I was sitting an old Mexican man started walking in my direction. Birds followed him as he came towards I. The Mexican man looked like a homeless man, I never saw him before in my life and I never saw him again afterward. And it is strange for something like this to happen in that town, because their was only one lady that appears homeless in that city, and even she wasn't really a vagrant, because she owned property, but she was poor.

The man asked if he could sit down beside I, and I said "OK". He said to I, "The birds followed me here, I can talk to the birds, you know". He then started speaking in Spanish to the birds. I noticed one of the birds walking in a shy kind of manner and the man said to I, "that one is shy".

The town is off of the St.Lawrence River in Canada. He pointed across the river towards the U.S.A and said to I, "you want to fight them" and then he shook his head and said, "the fight is not there, it is here" while pointing to his head.

He then held up a paper bag that had a can of beer in it and said, "I sometimes drink beer, but I don't like to drink wine because it brings down my powers"

So this was the answer to I question. There must be some property in grape that hinders I and I spiritual powers. For a Nazarite, this is unacceptable, because I and I are to be separated unto Jah and be holy.

But the spirit is more powerful than any physical thing, so it is not necessary to stay away from certain foods, but I think it is helpfull for a spiritual movement.
---------------------------------------------

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/20/2011 6:03:17 PM

Greetings Rasta people. How come ones and ones don't say nothing about de part of de vow dat talk about burnt offerings of animals (killin of animals). I don't over wha gwan with grapes. I man personaly see grapes as ital so long as dey are fresh and unfermented. I think a lot of things need to be questioned in de bible. I have a feeling dat some people's habits and cultures have been adopted and branded a massage of de creator to mislead, enslave and colonise our black brothers and sistas. Peace an love. Selah.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/20/2011 7:21:14 PM

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 10/21/2011 5:33:20 PM

True that I and I don't talk about the animal sacrefices. That isn't how things are to be done in this time. No doubt when the book of Numbers was written, the sacrefices were important in that community, because livestock was an important aspect of life that people held dear, so to offer an animal as a sacrefice was considered to be pious.
In this time now though, I and I know that the Most High takes no pleasure in blood, so I and I don't offer it, except when it is shed from I and I in the course of good works, which is the true sacrefice in this time.

As for the grapes, that I still feel is relevant to I and I in these times. Back then they were condidered to be something for pleasure and a symbol of worldly living, and in I sight, that is still the case with wine and such things. Perhaps no so much with fresh grapes, but in rejecting grapes and the products of them, there is still that element of rejecting the world of bayblon, just like how I and I grow locks and beards and reject their grooming. It is all showing that I and I are separating I and Iselves as Nazarites, who are separated unto the Most High.

Still though, some take that more seriously than others. I was Reasoning with an Idren about this the other day, and the question Ones here asked about melons, tomatoes and other things being from the vine came up, and it seems from that that it is the Bobo Shanti who hold that strictness in interpretation of the Nazarite vow through the teachings of King Emannuel. Obviously, some Ones just don't eat grapes or anything, while others don't have any problem with them. Whatever the case, it should never be a point of division between I and I, because there is too much work to be done in this time for I and I to be squabbling over grapes of all things...

Blessed love.

Messenger: HolyZionJahBless Sent: 11/3/2011 5:04:24 AM

Blessed be all Jah Jah children!

InI think found the answer to not drinking the fruit of the vine:

Mark ch 14 verse 23

25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

This said Yoshuah to his disciples on the day of the breaking of the bread before he was betrayed by Judas.

Jah RastaFarI!

Messenger: RasMoses Sent: 12/2/2011 3:13:35 PM

I am by no means a Twelve Tribes, but I was listening to an interview with the Prophet Gad, and he stated something about after the flood we were given meat. I read and know the Bible, and so I eat chicken and beef. In the Kebra Negast there is a lengthy list of meats that are not to be eaten, I also follow that. Seen?

Also a question: I was forced to cut my locks so I can get a job and get the money to go to Africa, is that a sin to cut your locks for the means of a greater cause?

Messenger: RasMoses Sent: 12/2/2011 3:13:47 PM

Do Nyabinghi eat vegetarian or is it still up to the Man to figure out his own path?

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 12/2/2011 5:57:31 PM

That is the I's decision, but if any man said to I that I could have a job if I cut I locks or even trimmed I beard, I would reject his job. More and more in these times, employers impose all sort of regulations on their staff that imprison them and I think it is something that I and I must avoid at all costs. The I says that it is for a better purpose, and no doubt that is the I's intention, but now they've already taken the I's locks, which are the sacred covenant with the Most High. Already the I has let babylon rob the I of that, so what will they want to take next?
The I might earn a little money from that job but already I bet the tax man is taking his little cut, and with the cost of living as it is and getting steeper by the day, I fear the I has just pinned the Iself down to babylon without realising.
The advice I give to anyone, especially youths in this situation, is to utilise skills and get on with the I's own thing. It's not easy and it's not without it's disadvantages but babylon set their traps and snares all over in these times, and youths especially have to be mindful of that and step around them. I say rise the Iself and get on with a little business of the I's own rather than trying to swim against the current in babylon. Through that as well the I can meet people who will help the I along the way, which is essential, because like His Majesty said, I and I need organisation and centralisation to achieve I and I goals in this time.

I hope that helps the I, and stay strong in babylon. Grow back the locks and let no man rob the I of them again.

Blessed love.

Messenger: RasMoses Sent: 12/8/2011 8:26:46 AM

More thanks for the response, might I and I just add that I am in no position to start I own business, I am currently in a residential facility (as I've spent most of I adolescence in these) for "bad" children, I priviledges are limited, I am only allowed to get a job with Babylon, I was forced to cut I and I locks, it was never I choice. I am 18, still under the Babylon rule, waiting for I release from the children's division system. At school, I wear my Rastafari shirt with a 50th anniversary Ghana bag and a shaved mane and am still promoting the way.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I