Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=117&start_row=61

The Nazarite Vow

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black heart Sent: 12/9/2011 3:19:09 PM

Brother Moses, could yu close yo ible for a moment. Den try to think about how yu would feel if you were a chicken or cow kept in a confined space (no freedom) waitin to be killed and eaten by people. I don't think yu'ld be happy. I don't mean yu wrong or right but I'm tryin to reveal to de I dat sometimes I and I hafe deeper dan de bible to give thanks to Jah and raspect to his creation. Blessed love.

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 12/12/2011 2:41:39 AM

Greetings

Reading Leviticus there are many things that man should avoid in order to be clean and acceptable to Jah. Overstanding that the Nazarite vow is taken for Jah, if one breaks a aspect of the vow either the one in numbers or ones own Vow or becomes unclean to Jah should one not restart the vow? If this is the case should InI also cut our locks and start again?

Blessed love

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 12/13/2011 11:20:26 PM

I n I were in a binghi when it was anaunced dat a rasta has died n had spent a month in de motuary. Some idrens in his area were reluctant to organise a funeral for de idren because of de nizerite vow. Through encouragement and advice from older Nyahbinghi Idrens from another area a funeral was done. De brother was buried. None of de rastas who attended de funeral has cut his locks as de vow says. Which means dat yu don't have to follow everything dat is writen in de bible. Instead I n I should read n question some things if its good to do dem. Acording to I man views I n I hafe warship de creator instead of warshiping the bible. If I n I follow Jah, he will reveal good things to I n I. Only Jah love can stand. Yes I. Rastafari!

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 12/14/2011 4:16:57 PM

Yes I Black heart
I always wondered about the death part of the vow I question other parts also, seems to I it was written for different times, maybe we were told to stay away from dead body's due to health risks of the day, leprosy ect. My only concern is are we being true to the law of the Nazerite if we pick and choose which parts we live by? I'm not sure maybe only Jah can help us answer this.

Blessed love

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 12/14/2011 4:54:45 PM

Idren just had a thought, what if the death part is not to be taken literally? if death = Sin, what if the vow is just showing I to stay away from the sins of others also?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/14/2011 10:19:57 PM

No, we are not supposed to go near a dead body, that is what it means.

I have been to a funeral before, but I will not go near the body. I had to refuse a request to be a pall bearer once because of this.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 12/14/2011 11:40:08 PM

Hail I. Bro Ark. Can de I explain to I n I what he would do in a situation where a brother dies in your presence. If all rastas can say dem don't go near dead bodies, does it mean dem would hafe rely on non rastas to bury dem? I don't know how funerals are conducted in de western world but here ina Africa when somebody is dead close people are de ones who fetch his body from de motuary to de place of burial. Dat means if rasta is dead rastas will be expected to help his familly cary his body and bury him. Irie!

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 12/15/2011 12:03:06 AM

Some of de rasta camps are situated in mountain area where dere are few people (rastas only). Even some of de binghi gatherings takes place in secluded sports on a mountain. Does it mean dat if an idren dies in de camp or gathering de others would hav to move away and leave his body in de mountains? Who would cary de body if fellow idrens can't go near a dead body? Come on Jah people. Blessed love.

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 6/8/2012 4:26:19 PM

A while ago while reasoning I ipinion as to why grapes were included in the nazarite vow I wrote .........

I now see it as a symbolic gesture to Jah, man ate the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden, he disappointed Selassie I in doing so and cast himself into sin, grapes are symbolic of the forbidden fruit, not eating them is showing We recognise the oneness with Adam but at the same time separating ourselves from those who continue to do wrong
--------

recently I read a passage in the book of Enoch. He stated that in the garden of righteousness. He was shown by the watchers, a fruit of the vine than looked like grapes. He was told this was the forbidden fruit that man ate. I havnt got I copy of Enoch with I, but I will post exact passage when I do.

So maybe this is the reason grapes are forbidden under the vow.

I started I vow 3 months ago but continued to eat grapes. I will now include them in I vow and abstain. Also grapes are poisonous to many animal species

Blessed Love

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 6/11/2012 3:53:00 PM

Book of Enoch 1917 translation
Chapter 32 4.

⌈;;That tree is in height like the fir, and its leaves are⌉;; like (those of) the Carob tree: and its fruit is like the clusters of the vine, very beautiful: and the fragrance of the tree penetrates afar. 5. Then I said: '⌈;;How⌉;; beautiful is the tree, and how attractive is its look!' 6. Then Raphael the holy angel, who was with me, answered me ⌈;;⌈;;and said⌉;;⌉;;: 'This is the tree of wisdom, of which thy father old (in years) and thy aged mother, who were before thee, have eaten, and they learnt wisdom and their eyes were opened, and they knew that they were naked and they were driven out of the garden.'

Blessed Love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I