Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1060&start_row=1

Women nah wear jeans

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black Cinderella Sent: 10/21/2005 3:03:54 PM

I'm still a tenderfoot in the rastafarian movement, but I've noticed that women have certain restriction as for example the topic of no pants (jeans) to be specific, and only skirts. I just want to ask what about the rastas who are in some of the cooler climates like new york and toronto? what are they to wear?

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 10/21/2005 7:32:40 PM

Blessed love sistren and give thanks for the question. I believe that the sistren wearing a dress is a way of preserving her image, as most pants these days are very revealing, being that they are low cut, tight and so forth, which draws the wrong kind of attention. i have met sistren that when the cold come, they just wear pants underneath of the dress.

I hope this helps a little, other sistren obviously will know better than I.

Bless

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 10/22/2005 8:34:47 PM

Blessed love sistern.... Rasta far I
KNOW youself....that is the answer. ini aware that when i dress in coverings that are uplifting to I-mage than ini raspect i and i am raspected. There is a raspect that cannot be even put into words, it just is and it was not a goal of mine in the way i dress, however RASPECT has always been a goal i aspired to.

I self wear skirts that are covoering and in public i wear i head covering knowing that i true crown is with i at all times not to be vanitized, or look uopn with greed by others nor prideful by i self. I have some friends who have never seen my dreadlocks amnd share mutal raspect..

What a blessed transformation...it is not what is said, but what is done.....

blessed love
live up rasta
haile I Selassie i
rasta far i

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 10/23/2005 1:15:11 AM

yes I, a Rastawombman is to feel full glory within her modesty. If it's cold, InI wear pants under the skirt... not a problem.

Haile Sellassie I the First
Almighty Creator

Messenger: Black Cinderella Sent: 10/23/2005 3:17:28 PM

Well if you say your clothing is not to be vanatized, then why wear skirts? The last time I check wearing skirts was considered fashion. I think It's a bit contradictory. I live in sofla and I wear pants sometimes, mostly skirts and I don't feel any more close to jah in skirts than when I'm wearing pants. The spiritual, social, and mental MOVEMENT of rastafari is a way of life and jah never sleeps you can be a wolf in a dress and an angel in pants. Clothing in something SUPERFICIAL your heart grows deep into your soul. Material and how you choose to wear your hair has nothing to do with it, that's whay InI don't look down on rastas who don't look like the "traditional" rastas. we are living in a westernized world we have to blend in and find that holiness in babylon through rastafari not through dogmatic principles.

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 10/23/2005 7:25:48 PM

skirts aren't dresses.

Messenger: soul sista shirl Sent: 10/24/2005 5:45:30 AM

1 LOVE SISTREN
JUST WEAR WAT FEEL COMFORTABLE TO THE I
RASTA BOUT WAT INA DA HEART NOT WAT I SHOULD WEAR NOT WEAR !
IT NOT BOUT LOCKS OR COVERING YOUR HEAD .
WHEN INI WAS BORN WE COME NAKED AND PURE .
SO JUS WHERE WAT YOU LIKE .
JAH NA JUDGE THE I FOR SUCH THINGS .
DRESS MODESTLY YES , BUT IN WATEVER THE I COMFORT IN .
EVERY1 LIVE THEM OWN LIFE, AN TROD THEM OWN ROAD
SO DO WAT RIGHT FOR THE I .
JAH GUIDANCE AND BLESSINGS TO ONE AN ALL

Messenger: Ras Levi Seraya Sent: 10/24/2005 10:05:17 AM

the whole thing about the dresses and pants derives from the levitical laws, stating that a woman should not wear anything pertaining to man, and a man likewise. But in this here time dont be confuse by this babylon structure (mainstream society)of what is and what aint, it is more so the spirits that are Ivoked from the rags, if the car not for sale, dont advertise, know 1self, know I limit, and most of all know Jah, and He'll guide

Jah bless
Ras LevI Seraya

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 10/24/2005 11:57:06 AM

Yes I.... know yourself. That is the key.

Sistren, tall skirts are not "in fashion" - what IS in fashion is to wear those mini skirts. Even as the "rasta trend" grows, they still don't push the look of the Rastawombman, babylon can't touch the modesty and royalty that a Rastawombman carries. It goes far deeper than any writings, it is within one's meditation that one comes to overstand the importance of the feminine modesty, the strength and humility that comes with the traditional dress of a Rastawombman.

The scripture also says ALL is vanity. There are nuff scripture ones choose to point to in order to justify things, yet still it's higher than the tablet of stone. InI can't keep coming with these excuses and resistances to what the tradition has already been keeping... Rastafari is from the ancient of days. InI don't want to mix and mingle with babylon or "the west"... INI are burning fyah for the west. It is possible for Rastafari wombmen to find jobs in babylon, the difficulty is for the Rastaman... so the excuses must cease and one and ones must be comfortable with who they are and pay due respect to the tradition as it is.

And yes, there are wolves in sheeps clothing, there are Ingels in pants.. etc. This doesn't mean much sistren, it's an internal communication the I must deal with first. Don't do anything you don't feel to do, be yourself. Just don't try to change that which has been foundation of Rastafari. If the I feels to wear pants, please do not fight against the sistrens who hold their ites in skirts, just BE.

The I may want to check the film "Queen Omega Rising" - A documentary on Rastawombman.

Perfect love

sis Kaley

Messenger: Black Cinderella Sent: 10/24/2005 3:49:01 PM

I know who I am...still learning too. I could care less what someone chooses to wear. I'm not into dem shallow things like that, but what I am into is If you're calling yourself a rasta, empress kingman, whatever. Have you excepted the almighty jah as your saviour, lord. what I'm saying is too many women that I know ask me what do I wear to the groundation. I will say you should dress modestly then, but day to day I believe you can wear whatever you want. I'm not too familiar with livitical laws and frankly do not take the bible word for word, more symbolically. but as I said before jah sees the heart not material things that can be easily ripped up and thrown away. your heart, your soul lasts forever even through dying days. Your soul roams the earth for eternity, without "tall dresses" and "head wraps"

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 27

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I