Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2375&start_row=1

Lead us away from temptation and deliver us from evil

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/5/2007 4:35:44 PM

Usually when I pray to Jah, I just speak to the Most High. But sometimes I may say the Lord's prayer in a group, for example, if I am visiting my parents and they ask me to say it before dinner.

From since the time I was young, I always replace the part:
Lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil

with:
Lead us away from temptation and deliver us from evil

Why would I ask Jah to not lead I into temptation when I know that Jah never leads anybody into temptation? Our temptation arises because of our own wickedness, Jah never lead us to it.

I feel that it is a mistranslation. The original prayer probably said something like unrest compared to rest, or disorganize compared to organize. So the word was probably something like untemptation, but since english doesn't (or at least didn't) have a word like untemptation, it was translated to "not into temptation".

Either way, however that form of the sentence came about, it is something I don't feel right to say, so that is why I say it differently.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/5/2007 5:10:27 PM

Greetings...

SELAM

Messenger: Diego B. Sent: 11/6/2007 8:10:23 AM

My Brethren Ark I,

I've also been thinking about it, as it was an unright thing to say unto the Father, but what lead I is: it is the prayer of Jesus, and if there is confusion, is me to be in the bad way, not HIM. Then John the Apostle says, in one of the Epistles, what you says : is not God to tempt us.

What I have realized is that to say "Lead us not into temptation" is absolutely right, just because the Power of Jah is able to do everything for us, and shield us from wrong. It is not HIM to lead into temptation, but HE to shield from the temtation, deceiving us not. When we say "lead" we imagine one who held us by hand, to achieve something, arriving somewhere, in any case, it seem us that we are following this person toward his direction. But being in Christ is not so; the Father is just deceiving us not into temptation. If we pray to fall not into temptation, as the Lord Himself says to the Apostles, He is going to help us. it sounds like "make me fall not, because You can".
The italian says "non(do not) ci(us) INDURRE (the verb) in tentazione(tempatation)". IN-durre, has "IN", wich stands for an action that is directed to "come in" or "go forward".
Also the greek translation, has a verb with "eis", a preposition that means the same as the
italian, "toward", "leading", "conducing", "introducing". The meaning is of course the same for these three languages, and of course He does not lead us into temptation, it sounds, again, like "make so that we are not introduced to the sin""don't let me fall".
Remember the Word of Jesus "pray to fall not into temptation", that's the same.We pray unto Jah for us not to be let falling, in order to achieve the deliverance from that sin that sin that would make us fall. "

Hope it was clear enough

Diego

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 11/6/2007 9:17:27 AM

Blessed Love

Idren, if you check the Amharic translation there....where it says the part about "lead us not into temptation. It says

"Wedefetenam Atagban" Ark I the i had the right instinct because if this is translated correctly, it doesnt say, lead us not into temptation.
A more accurate translation would be "Do not let us enter into temptation " or "keep us from temptation.

To say "lead us not into temptation, you would have to write the amharic as "wdefetenam Atasgeban".....see the difference?

Whoever wrote that Amharic/english translation was incorrect when they wrote "We will not enter" when translating the word "Atagban"

mmm actually as i look more on it, i see it has quite a number of errors
for eg...when it say "kekiffu adinin", it is translated as "from the evil we are saved ".....when the correct translation should be "save us from evil"

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 11/6/2007 9:20:45 AM

Ark I, when i say the Lordīs prayer, it is one part i usually change

In Amharic the first line is

Besemayat yemetenor Abatachen hoi (our Father who dwells in heaven)

but i say

Besemayat yemetenor Abatachen Janhoi

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/6/2007 1:02:57 PM

Diego, you said,
---------------------------
what lead I is: it is the prayer of Jesus, and if there is confusion, is me to be in the bad way, not HIM.
---------------------------

If I and I were listening to the words of Christ directly, then that would likely be true, but we are reading versions of versions of versions of versions, so we can't always trust everything about the version we see. And as you can see from the Amharic version, it is saying something closer to what I am saying then what the english versions say.

Ras KebreAB,

Seen, that is a good replacement you make.

In regards to the mistranslations you see in the translation SunofMan posted. I thought that those parts that you mentioned are probably not quite the same as what was translated on that paper.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/6/2007 2:39:56 PM

Greetings...

True, as Ras KebreAB noted, there are errors in the translation and I should have mentioned that after I posted it, Give thanks Ras. As I was taught the Lords Prayer in by Ethiopians I saw corrections that could be made to the translation I posted as well, but it's beautiful still. I am wondering about the feminine references made in this translation, in the written english; Ras Kebre AB, can the I tell us if these are also in the feminine in this version? also, isn't this Ge'ez?

SELAM

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 11/6/2007 7:08:31 PM

Sunofman, i am still wondering who wrote this or where the i got it from but i am not really familiar with this. I wont go so far as to say that it is a mistake, no, everything that needs to be contained is there, its just some words, and the order of the sentences is quite different from what i have heard and been taught all i life. The i has already noticed the little mistranslations. One line comes after the next in an order that i am not familiar with, but for now i will deal with what the i asked about the feminine
Again, i have never heard that line being spoken like that....that is "Menghist yante nat ena", i havent heard that, but the translation here is correct, the word "nat" would indeed signify the feminine.
But the first error comes from the translation of "Menghist" which is given as "Rulership"
The Right line, or the line as i know it, should read
Menghist,Haile ena Kebre lezelalem yante ne-ew

which is
the Kingdom, Power and Glory is thine

So there is no feminine or male gender here.

Having said all that, ini know say how large Ithiopia is, with all its little rock churches and monasteries and such,,,so for all i know, perhaps some monks somewhere do indeed recite the Lordīs Prayer in such manner
oh, and no, this is not Geez, its Amharic
Blessed Love
Rastafari is

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/7/2007 7:09:32 AM

Give Thanks Ras for the I's insight and clarity. I don't personally know who wrote it, I had just found this online. As I was taught the prayer, the order of the sentences was different too.

SELAM

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 4/5/2009 1:08:07 PM

Here is another version of the Lord's Prayer in Amharic

JAH RASTAFARI LORD OF LORDS AND SAVIOR

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I